[comp.sys.mac] SuperPaint 2.0 and IconWrap -- potential problems?

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (03/30/89)

I was saving a large SuperPaint 2.0 document the other night in MultiFinder
when SP "exited unexpectedly" on me.  Luckily I had a backup, but I decided
to figure out if anything (memory consumption, INITs) were contributing to
the problem.

Even with 1100K of RAM allocated to SP 2.0 (and SP only using half of that),
the application continued to blow up while saving said document.  I then
switched all my INITs off and tried again.  It saved without a problem.

Well, thanks to Aask, it was easier to track things down; suffice it to say
that an INIT called IconWrap (can't remember the edition, but it was created
in Nov. of '89) which causes INIT icons to wrap up one row during boot-up
(except the Shield INIT, which screws everything up :-) ) was the culprit.
I've ditched it, but was curious -- has anyone else noticed these symptoms?

Oh, yeah -- I own a Mac SEx with an 80 Meg internal drive and 5 Megs RAM.

                           "To the unwashed public, that woman is a star.  But
                            to those who know her, she's a commodity who would
                            sell her own bowel movement."
                                           -- Anthony Newley re: ex-wife
                                              Joan Collins
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, hplsla, thebes, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

dolf@uva.UUCP (Dolf Starreveld) (03/30/89)

In article <7471@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
> I was saving a large SuperPaint 2.0 document the other night in MultiFinder
> when SP "exited unexpectedly" on me.  Luckily I had a backup, but I decided
> to figure out if anything (memory consumption, INITs) were contributing to
> the problem.
>
> Even with 1100K of RAM allocated to SP 2.0 (and SP only using half of that),
> the application continued to blow up while saving said document.  I then
> switched all my INITs off and tried again.  It saved without a problem.
>
> Well, thanks to Aask, it was easier to track things down; suffice it to say
> that an INIT called IconWrap (can't remember the edition, but it was created
> in Nov. of '89) which causes INIT icons to wrap up one row during boot-up
> (except the Shield INIT, which screws everything up :-) ) was the culprit.
> I've ditched it, but was curious -- has anyone else noticed these symptoms?
>
> Oh, yeah -- I own a Mac SEx with an 80 Meg internal drive and 5 Megs RAM.

I was using a Mac IIx and experienced frequent but crashes in several
applications. The crashes alwasy occurred when doing a specific action, so
it was reproducible. In the end I tracked this down to IconWrap and I
subsequently removed it and had no more problems. Although for Plus and SE
users IconWrap is nice, this makes the circular archive its only proper place.

Line filler.
Line filler.
Line filler.
Line filler.
Line filler.
Line filler.
Line filler.
Line filler.
Line filler.
Line filler.
Line filler.
Line filler.
Line filler.
Line filler.
Line filler.
Line filler.
Line filler.
Line filler.
Line filler.
Line filler.
Line filler.
Line filler.
Line filler.
Line filler.
--
Dolf Starreveld  Phone: +31 20 592 5056/+31 20 592 5022, TELEX: 10262 HEF NL
EMAIL:           dolf@uva.uucp (...!mcvax!uva!dolf), or dolfs@hasara5.bitnet

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (03/31/89)

In article <7471@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>Well, thanks to Aask, it was easier to track things down; suffice it to say
>that an INIT called IconWrap (can't remember the edition, but it was created
>in Nov. of '89) which causes INIT icons to wrap up one row during boot-up
>(except the Shield INIT, which screws everything up :-) ) was the culprit.
>I've ditched it, but was curious -- has anyone else noticed these symptoms?

  Sounds like the initial version of IconWrap, the source to which I posted
here back in November (88). That version did something unspeakable: it tail-
patched CopyBits. This led to some weird and not-so-wonderful effects on
68020 and 68030 machines, although it operated just fine on a 68000 Mac.
The most-often noticed problem was with HyperCard fields: if you scrolled
in a field, instant bus error.

  The current version of IconWrap, 1.1, is substantially improved... it
should be showing up in comp.binaries.mac soon (it's already on GeNIE and
CIS, I believe.)  While it's still a CopyBits patch, it was rewritten to
eliminate the above problems, and so far I've had no trouble with it on
any machine... 1.1 still ignores color icons, but this will be fixed in
1.2 :-)

-ken

--
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    felix!dhw68k!thecloud@ics.uci.edu