[comp.sys.mac] Mac-Pc Networking

Bernard.Aboba@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Bernard Aboba) (03/29/89)

This may strike people as a simple question, but believe me, it isn't.
I'm looking for a network that runs on both the Mac and PC, and that will leave enough memory on a PC based node to all me to run PC Illustrator or PC PageMaker, and to be able to print to a networked LaserWriter.
I've already tried TOPS, and by the time everything was loaded in, there was only 256K of RAM left on the PC!!  TOPS also has the annoying tendency to freeze all Macs on the network that have mounted a PC volume when the PC gets busy.

We were wondering if anyone out there had used Novell or AppleShare PC in a similar situation, and are now productively using Macs and PCS running Excel, PageMaker, MS Word, and other programs that run on both machines, and that print on the LaserWriter.

--
INTERNET:  bmug!User.Name@apple.COM UUCP: apple!bmug!User.Name

halff@nprdc.arpa (Henry Halff) (04/01/89)

In article <102.243363F9@bmug.FIDONET.ORG> Bernard.Aboba@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Bernard Aboba) writes:
>I'm looking for a network that runs on both the Mac and PC, and that will leave enough memory on a PC based node to all me to run PC Illustrator or PC PageMaker, and to be able to print to a networked LaserWriter.
>I've already tried TOPS, and by the time everything was loaded in, there was only 256K of RAM left on the PC!!

The newest version of TOPS (2.1) lets you operate the PC as a client
only for about 100K overhead.  On my machine that leaves about 440K
free on top of DOS.  Your figure may be different depending on what
you have in the way of drivers, TSRs, etc.

hh