[comp.sys.mac] How do I post to comp.binaries.mac?

lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (03/27/89)

I have here, on my hard disk, the latest demo version of Leprechaun
that fixes most of the bugs that have been reported here.  I have
been instructed by the author to distribute the demo as far and as
widely as possible, so I would like to post it to comp.binaries.mac.
The version of the demo is 2.5.3.

Could someone please e-mail me instructions on how to post stuff
to comp.binaries.mac or to the sumex archives?  ADVthanksANCE...

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
INTERNET: lauac%qal.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

mnkonar@gorby.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Murat N. Konar) (03/28/89)

In article <22109@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) writes:
>Could someone please e-mail me instructions on how to post stuff
>to comp.binaries.mac or to the sumex archives?  ADVthanksANCE...

Me, too, please.

Thanks.

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar        Honeywell Systems & Research Center, Camden, MN
mnkonar@SRC.honeywell.com (internet) {umn-cs,ems,bthpyd}!srcsip!mnkonar(UUCP)

mystone@sol.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (03/28/89)

In article <19431@srcsip.UUCP> mnkonar@gorby.UUCP (Murat N. Konar) writes:
>In article <22109@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) writes:
>>Could someone please e-mail me instructions on how to post stuff
>>to comp.binaries.mac or to the sumex archives?  ADVthanksANCE...
>

>Me, too, please.
>
>Thanks.

  And me!  Merci.

Dean Yu                            | E-mail: mystone@{sol,caen}.engin.umich.edu
University of Michigan             | Real-mail: Dean Yu
Computer Aided Engineering Network |            2413 Kelsey House
===================================|            600 E Madison
"These are MY opinions." (My       |            Ann Arbor, MI 48109
 employer doesn't want them.       |===========================================
 Actually, they don't really care  |
 what I think.  But President      |   This space intentionally left blank.
 Duderstadt does...)               |

syap@cc.rochester.edu (James Fitzwilliam) (03/28/89)

Rather than having more and more people pile on asking for this info (I'd like
to know myself) can someone post a quick note with the moderators' addresses
for sumex and comp.binaries?  This would seem to be of general interest, and
it will take fewer bytes than multiple requests.

(This, of course, assumes that someone actually knows.  I've seen the question
a few times, but never the answer.  :)

						James

possible path: ...!rochester!vera!syap
       domain: syap@vera.cc.rochester.edu
        GEnie: FITZWILLIAM
--

dce@stan.UUCP (David Elliott) (03/28/89)

>>In article <22109@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) writes:
>>>Could someone please e-mail me instructions on how to post stuff
>>>to comp.binaries.mac or to the sumex archives?  ADVthanksANCE...

Has anyone tried posting to comp.binaries.mac?  If your news software is
working correctly, that should mail to the moderator.  I sent a test
posting today, but have yet to receive a response (or a bounced
message).

As for sumex, I have yet to figure out whether they track
comp.binaries.mac, comp.binaries.mac tracks sumex, of if they are
completely independent.  In any case, the address for submissions to
sumex is listed as INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU in the info-mac/help
files on sumex.

--
David Elliott		...!pyramid!boulder!stan!dce
"Splish splash, I was rakin' in the cash"  -- Eno

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (03/28/89)

In article <19431@srcsip.UUCP> mnkonar@gorby.UUCP (Murat N. Konar) writes:
>In article <22109@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) writes:
          [how do I post something to comp.binaries.mac?]

Submissions to comp.binaries.mac AND comp.sources.mac should be *mailed*
to the moderator at:
                       macintosh@felix.UUCP

A fairly reliable path is:  felix!macintosh@ics.uci.edu

Remember to use BinHex 4.0 (or StuffIt's "Encode Binhex" option) on the
file[s], so they can be sent through the 7-bit world of UUCP. If the
resulting file is huge, break it up into separate chunks of ~32K (or less)
and mail each part separately.

-k

--
==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    felix!dhw68k!thecloud@ics.uci.edu

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) (04/02/89)

In article <685@salgado.stan.UUCP> David Elliott writes:
>Has anyone tried posting to comp.binaries.mac?  If your news software is
>working correctly, that should mail to the moderator.  I sent a test
>posting today, but have yet to receive a response (or a bounced
>message).

In case my reply gets lost, I did get your posting.  And you are correct that
in most cases, the easiest method is to post to comp.binaries.mac and let the
news software do its thing.

However, if you DO choose to mail stuff, be aware that the preferred address
is

	macintosh@felix.UUCP

or (less preferable)

	macintosh@dhw68k.cts.com

but NOT

	bytebug@felix.UUCP	or	bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com

Keeping megabytes of Mac software out of my personal mailbox lets me deal
with my moderating duties when I'm wearing my moderator's hat.

>As for sumex, I have yet to figure out whether they track
>comp.binaries.mac, comp.binaries.mac tracks sumex, of if they are
>completely independent.  In any case, the address for submissions to
>sumex is listed as INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU in the info-mac/help
>files on sumex.

The moderators at sumex forward postings to me, and I believe that
one or more of the moderators at sumex monitor comp.binaries.mac and
grab stuff that they haven't seen.

--
	Roger L. Long
	(comp.binaries.mac moderator)

lipa@polya.Stanford.EDU (William J. Lipa) (04/02/89)

In article <685@salgado.stan.UUCP> dce@salgado.UUCP (David Elliott) writes:
>As for sumex, I have yet to figure out whether they track
>comp.binaries.mac, comp.binaries.mac tracks sumex, of if they are
>completely independent.

We have a hardy volunteer who mails us all of the comp.binaries.mac stuff,
and I remail the stuff that comes in to the comp.binaries.mac moderator.
So in theory we should offer the same things.

Bill Lipa
Info-Mac

PS. The correct way to submit binaries to Info-Mac is to BinHex them up
and mail them off to info-mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu. Don't bother about
splitting them up; we do that.