[comp.sys.mac] SE/30 SCSI question

jeffp@phred.UUCP (Jeff Parke) (03/28/89)

In article <88424@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:

>Also a question:  I plugged in the 60Mbyte external drive to the SCSI
>port on the SE/30 but did not power it on. Is that what prevented the
>SE/30 from recognizing either hard drive?

I just tried unsucessfully to attach my old jasmine 20 meg hard drive to my
new SE/30 SCSI port.  If I left the jasmine power off, the /30 just sat there.
If I powered the jasmine up prior to turning on the /30, the /30 would get to
the point of trying to find the jasmine, then freeze (with desktop partially
drawn).  The jasmine drive was in fine shape, and so is the /30 SCSI port
because it worked fine with a Daynafile drive I attached to it.

Anyone else having this problem?  Any solutions?

--
...uw-beaver!pilchuck!seahcx!phred!jeffp {Jeff Parke}
Genie  : JEFFP  | DELPHI : JEFFPARKE |  CIS : 71511,1512

billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu (billkatt) (03/29/89)

In article <2519@phred.UUCP> jeffp@phred.UUCP (Jeff Parke) writes:
>In article <88424@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:
>>
>I just tried unsucessfully to attach my old jasmine 20 meg hard drive to my
>new SE/30 SCSI port.  If I left the jasmine power off, the /30 just sat there.
>If I powered the jasmine up prior to turning on the /30, the /30 would get to
>the point of trying to find the jasmine, then freeze (with desktop partially
>drawn).  The jasmine drive was in fine shape, and so is the /30 SCSI port
>because it worked fine with a Daynafile drive I attached to it.
>
>Anyone else having this problem?  Any solutions?

Old Jasmine 20's just plain don't conform to the SCSI spec.  It may not work
if it is on the same bus as another SCSI drive (do you have an internal?)
Here is my solution:
Buy a Rodime 140 INTERNAL hard drive.  Instead of putting it in your machine,
open up the Jasmine, throw out the Seagate ST-225N which is inside, and put
the Rodime inside.  It fits perfectly, and the power supply can handle it.
All the connectors fit, too.  The SCSI select switch won't work correctly
unless you reverse all the wires connecting to the plug.
After this "modification" you have a completely compatible 140 Meg SCSI drive.
BTW, a Rodime 140 internal costs between $1000 and $1100.

+----------------------+----------------------------------------------------+
| Steve Bollinger      | Internet: billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu             |
| 4297 Sulgrave Dr.    +------+---------------------------------------------+
| Swartz Creek, Mi. 48473     | "My employer doesn't take my opinion any    |
+-----------------------------+  more seriously than you do."               |
| "You remember the IIe, it   +---------------------------------------------+
| was the machine Apple made before they decided people didn't need         |
| machines with big screens, color, or slots."                              |
|                                 - Harry Anderson (from NBC's Night Court) |

ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac) (03/29/89)

In article <424c763b.a590@mag.engin.umich.edu> billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu (billkatt) writes:
>Old Jasmine 20's just plain don't conform to the SCSI spec.  It may not work
>if it is on the same bus as another SCSI drive (do you have an internal?)
>open up the Jasmine, throw out the Seagate ST-225N which is inside...

Since the ST-225N is the same drive that Apple was using at the time,
it's a bit rash to claim that it's non-conforming.  There was a
problem with multiple drives, but it was intolerant software, not
non-conforming hardware that made the problem.

The ST225N was (perhaps still is) slow to release the SCSI bus after
an operation.  Annoying as it is, that's perfectly conforming
behavior.  The problem arose when another operation on another drive
followed immediately.  The software would arbitrate for the bus, find
it busy, and give up.  It should have retried.

There was no problem with multiple ST225N's on the same bus, because
any driver for the ST225N had to handle this perfectly legal
condition.  This was true of Apple's driver and it was true of mine.
(It was not true of the buggy sample driver distributed by Apple and
used verbatim by some startups.)

(Dis)claimer: Jasmine used my driver from January '87 until Tim
Standing's DriveWare replaced it about a year and half later.  I was
never a Jasmine employee.  I'm not doing any work for them now, and I
don't expect that I ever will again.

Ephraim Vishniac  /  Internet: ephraim@think.com  / AppleLink: ThinkingCorp
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

	"Arlo Guthrie, it seems, has found what he was looking for:
		God, and the Macintosh." (Boston Globe)

ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) (03/30/89)

In article <2519@phred.UUCP> jeffp@phred.UUCP (Jeff Parke) writes:
>I just tried unsucessfully to attach my old jasmine 20 meg hard drive to my
>new SE/30 SCSI port.  If I left the jasmine power off, the /30 just sat there.
>If I powered the jasmine up prior to turning on the /30, the /30 would get to
>the point of trying to find the jasmine, then freeze (with desktop partially
>drawn).  The jasmine drive was in fine shape, and so is the /30 SCSI port
>because it worked fine with a Daynafile drive I attached to it.

>Anyone else having this problem?  Any solutions?

If its starting to load the Finder or some part of the booting
process chances are you have some INIT or something installed
that does not like to work on an 030 system. If you boot
from a floppy and get the Hard disk to mount, you might want
to remove INIT's and perhaps debuggers to see if that solves the
problem. I installed a Radius accelerator in a Plus once with
a Jasmine 80 and it would not boot afterwards, and I found that
it was due to an older version of the Macsbug debugger that was
causing my problems...

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-Sysop FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (04/03/89)

In article <547@bridge2.3Com.Com> ngg@bridge2.3Com.com (Norman Goodger) writes:
>In article <2519@phred.UUCP> jeffp@phred.UUCP (Jeff Parke) writes:
<>I just tried unsucessfully to attach my old jasmine 20 meg hard drive to my
<>new SE/30 SCSI port.  If I left the jasmine power off, the /30 just sat there.
<>If I powered the jasmine up prior to turning on the /30, the /30 would get to
<>the point of trying to find the jasmine, then freeze (with desktop partially
<>drawn).  The jasmine drive was in fine shape, and so is the /30 SCSI port
<>because it worked fine with a Daynafile drive I attached to it.
<
<>Anyone else having this problem?  Any solutions?
<>

I still don't have my external working on the SE/30 either, but due to
a lack of time, I haven't really checked out the obvious--SCSI ID conflict.
It got to the smiling Mac and just sat there.

It's nice to have someone set you up as did the place that put in the
memory upgrade and SCSI port, but I wish they'd provide some documentation.

Shirley Kehr