[comp.sys.mac] SCSI Terminators

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (04/04/89)

In article <839@orbit.UUCP> pj@pnet51.cts.com (Paul Jacoby) writes:

>                                                     ...I have an external
>Mirror 40 meg (SCSI 4) and 40 meg tape drive (SCSI 1).  I am finding that when
>I have the external drive/tape plugged in but NOT powered on, I cannot boot
>the SE/30.  At all.  Just a grey screen--not even a flashin disk.  This sounds
>reminiscent of the older Pluses...or do I just have a termination problem?

It is >JUST< a termination problem.  On Macs prior to the MAC II, no power for
terminators was brought out to the SCSI port, so the device was responsible
for powering the termination.  If the terminators are unpowered, they pull
down the lines and prevent SCSI operation.

On the MAC II (and, I presume the SE/30), +5 volts is provided on pin 25 of
the SCSI connector to power terminations.

Peripheral device manufacturers "knew" that the MAC (+ and SE) did not power
the terminators, so they power them from the internal device supply.  I have
discovered that, quite often, they did not provide a diode to allow powering
the terminations from the BUS.  Also, they do not provide (through a diode)
power TO the bus -- which means that if you remove the internal termination
resistors so you can daisy-chain devices, and put an external termination on
the end of the chain, the system will not work unless you are on a later MAC
that provides SCSI terminator power. (sigh!).  They saved about $0.60.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)