[comp.sys.mac] Any news about SE->SE/30 upgrade

davew@hpdsla.HP.COM (Dave Waller) (03/30/89)

Anyone heard anything about the SE->SE/30 upgrade yet? For instance, price,
whether or not the upgrade can be done in stages (i.e. logic board, then later
FDHD drive, etc.). Thanks,

Dave Waller
Workstation Group
Hewlett-Packard Co.
Pacific Technology Park
Sunnyvale, CA
(408) 746-5324
[ucbvax!]hplabs!hpdstma!dave

phil@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (04/04/89)

In article <1370019@hpdsla.HP.COM>, davew@hpdsla.HP.COM (Dave Waller) writes:
> Anyone heard anything about the SE->SE/30 upgrade yet? For instance, price,
> whether or not the upgrade can be done in stages (i.e. logic board, then later
> FDHD drive, etc.). Thanks,

Over here in the UK the prices are as follows:

SE to SE/30 upgrade (no FDHD) 1125.00 pounds or 843.75 Education
SE FDHD internal drive upgrade 425.00 pounds or 318.75 Education

These prices are on a list from my local Apple Dealer.  It is possible to
get an SE to SE/30 upgrade without doing your internal floppy, and from
the messages on this group people seem to think that unless you are going
to be reading lots of IBM disks that it may well be better to forget about
the FDHD upgrade - since you need (expensive) high-density disks to make
and use of it.

Phil Jimmieson,           ***************************************************
Computer Science Dept.,   *        ** Note New Address & UserName **        *
Liverpool University,     * JANET : PHIL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.MVA                   *
Merseyside, England,      * ARPA  : PHIL%mva.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu   *
L69  3BX                  *                                                 *
                          * old address SQPHIL@UK.AC.LIV.CSVAX may work     *
(UK) 051-794-3689         ***************************************************

borton@uva.UUCP (Chris Borton) (04/04/89)

In article <1370019@hpdsla.HP.COM> davew@hpdsla.HP.COM (Dave Waller) writes:
>Anyone heard anything about the SE->SE/30 upgrade yet? For instance, price,
>whether or not the upgrade can be done in stages (i.e. logic board, then later
>FDHD drive, etc.). Thanks,

According to a MacWEEK I read recently it is a logic board upgrade for $1699
and the FDHD is available separately for $499.  These prices are from
somewhat fuzzy memory, so please check them out (or correct me if you know
better).  I assume, due to the SWIM, that you can only get a FDHD after the
logic board swap.

-cbb
--
Chris Borton	borton%uva@mcvax.{nl,bitnet,uucp}
Rotary Scholar & Network Administrator, University of Amsterdam CS