[comp.sys.mac] Digital Logic Simulation program sought !

xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (04/05/89)

I just downloaded DigSim 2.0 from sumex archives.  DigSim is a digital
logic simulation program written by Brian Rauchfuss.  This latest
version 2.0 I download was written in 1986.  Not too surprisingly, this
version doesn't run well under the latest system software, sytem 6.02,
finder 6.1 and Multifinder 6.0.1 (both Multifinder and Finder).  What I
mean by "not run well" is that it starts ok, and all the functions
works fine, except one.  It crashes a lot (not all the time) when one
tries to open a previously saved file (no, I don't think that this is
deliberately disabled).

Does anyone know of any more recent versions of DigSim ? If you have it,
can you email it to me or send it to sumex-aim archives ( I think that
posting to comp.binaries.mac is quite slow).

I know of several other logic simulation programs.  However, none of
them has a function of that DigSim has -- subcircuit (customized
circuit libraries).  If you know of any program that has this function,
would you please tell me where I can get it ?  This is for educational
purposes, therefore, PD/Shareware is preferred.

Thanks in advance.

Xiaoxia  Ye          INTERNET/BITNET/UUCP: xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Dartmouth College    For more info: finger xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) (04/06/89)

In article <12897@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu writes:

>I just downloaded DigSim 2.0 from sumex archives.  DigSim is a digital
>logic simulation program written by Brian Rauchfuss.  This latest
>
>I know of several other logic simulation programs.  However, none of
>them has a function of that DigSim has -- subcircuit (customized
>circuit libraries).  If you know of any program that has this function,

Well, the one i use doesn't do this.  But it's superior to DigSim in all
other respects.  It is: LogiMac, by Chris Dewhurst, $28 from Kinko's
Acedemic Courseware Exchange, 800/235-6919 (CA 800/292-6640).  It's
great, enabling numbering of pins, naming of signals that you want in a
timing diagram, assigning a delay (transition time) to components
(although only 256 levels of resolution), pretty good rubber-banding (in
contrast to DigSim, which lays signals on top of each other), fairly
good generic component library (can approximate most TTL stuff and
more), good page-layout capabilities (prints out multi-page drawings,
showing you page boundaries in a "show page" mode).  I admit i missed
the capability to make components, but i got along.  I think the author
has a more expensive (>$100) version called LogiWorks (604/669-6343)
that is more functional.  But for less than the cost of a textbook, this
one is fine.  I designed the main timing logic section of a digital
sampling oscilloscope using this, and it saved me many hours in the lab.
--

                                               - Scott