[comp.sys.mac] Problems playing stereo sound through SEx stereo sound jack

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (04/02/89)

[I've already dropped a note off to Farallon about this, but what the
 hey...]

Anyone out there tried to play stereo sounds in SoundEdit stereo format,
using SoundEdit, through the Stereo jack on the back of an SEx (aka SE/30)?
I got MacRecorder this week, and it comes with a stereo sound that says
"Left" on the left channel and, a few seconds later, "Right" on the right
channel.  Playing it using SoundEdit, through a stereo headset connected to
the SEx's stereo jack, plays only the left channel.  It plays it through
both earphones of the headset, though, so it's not a loose connection.  I am
assuming that SoundEdit doesn't recognize that the SEx has a stereo jack.

But, is this just me, or has someone else had this problem?  I should point
out that I'm using SoundEdit 1.0 -- I've written to Farallon about the
upgrade to 1.1, and expect it soon.

I'll summarize what I find out from Farallon here...

                           "To the unwashed public, that woman is a star.  But
                            to those who know her, she's a commodity who would
                            sell her own bowel movement."
                                           -- Anthony Newley re: ex-wife
                                              Joan Collins
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, hplsla, thebes, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

pj@pnet51.cts.com (Paul Jacoby) (04/03/89)

On the issue of sound on the SE/30 (SEx), have others also noticed that there
is far less power running out the stereo jack than there was on the SE?  I
have a pair of Sony Walkman-size extension speakers, and they were "Loud and
Proud" on my SE--perfect for demonstrations to a group.  Now that I have my
SE/30, I get very little volume from them, even with the volume set to 7.  Did
Apple go with a lower/higher impedance on the jack in the SE/30?

.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {rosevax, crash, orator}!orbit!pnet51!pj |  "Ah!  I see you have the  |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!pj@nosc.mil           |   machine that goes        |
| INET: pj@pnet51.cts.com                        |   'BING!'"                 |

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (04/07/89)

In article <852@orbit.UUCP> pj@pnet51.cts.com (Paul Jacoby) writes:
>On the issue of sound on the SE/30 (SEx), have others also noticed that there
>is far less power running out the stereo jack than there was on the SE?  I
>have a pair of Sony Walkman-size extension speakers, and they were "Loud and
>Proud" on my SE--perfect for demonstrations to a group.  Now that I have my
>SE/30, I get very little volume from them, even with the volume set to 7.  Did
>Apple go with a lower/higher impedance on the jack in the SE/30?

I did hear that they lowered the volume.  The idea was that the old
volume was dangeriously loud if someone plugged in headphones.

Seems they figured that you couldn't drive *much* of a speaker at the
old level so they threw in a resistor-or-two to make it at least
useable as a multi-thousand dollar Walkman.

I guess you will have to get a pair of amplified speakers.  Apple
*once* sold Bose Roommates just for such use--but that's a different
subject.

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or