[comp.sys.mac] MS Word printing question

michel@etlcom.etl.JUNET (Michel Pasquier) (04/04/89)

 I have used MS Word for a long time and very seldom found things
that I would do and Word could'nt. But this time...

 The problem is: I need double-sided printing with real laser quality.

 So I want the texts to be printed (on an Apple LaserWriter) *directly*
on both sides. What I mean is I don't want to print a first single-sided
version and then have it double-sided with a %$#%$ photocopier.
 Since I can't do it hard (and modify the printer), let it be soft. The
best way I could figure is to print first all the odd pages, feed the
LaserWriter with them bottom up and then print the even pages in reverse
order. That would be a great idea if I only had the slightest idea on how
to do this...

 So, is there a trick (or even a regular method :-) to achieve this?
Or maybe another solution? Any idea or suggestion would be *greatly*
appreciated. Thanks.

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (04/05/89)

In article <21593@etlcom.etl.JUNET> michel@etlcom.etl.JUNET (Michel Pasquier) writes:

> The problem is: I need double-sided printing with real laser quality.

> So, is there a trick (or even a regular method :-) to achieve this?

Yes.  Print the entire document, single sided.  Next, reverse Pairs of pages,
so that the page order is 2, 1, 4, 3, 6, 5, ... etc, and turn the pages
upside down.  Now feed them in again and print the entire document.

You now have TWO copies of your paper, both printed double-sided.  The
generalization to any even number of copies is left to the reader.  The
generalization to any odd number of copies may be found in "What is the Name
of This Book", by Raymond  Smullyan.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)

prince@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) (04/06/89)

In article <21593@etlcom.etl.JUNET> michel@etlcom.etl.JUNET (Michel Pasquier) writes:

> The problem is: I need double-sided printing with real laser quality.
>
> So I want the texts to be printed (on an Apple LaserWriter) *directly*

I'm not sure if it's the same for a LW or LW+, but for an LW2NT or NTX,
just print all odd pages, then stack them in paper tray as follows:

White (unprinted) side up, top-of-sheet-into-feeder-first, lowest page
number (page 1-slash-2) on top of stack.

In any case, it shouldn't cost you too many sheets of paper to experiment
with a sample (4-page) document, if you have one of the other Laserwriters.

CAVEAT:  There MAY be some smudging at the top (leading edge) of some of
the output pages (caused by dirty rollers when the toner doesn't fuse
sufficiently), so experiment first.

		    UCLA Computer Science Department
   -- Larry         3413 Boelter Hall   Los Angeles 90024  (213) 825-2145
	 Prince     UUCP:    {ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!prince
		    ARPAnet:  prince@CS.UCLA.EDU

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (04/06/89)

<
< The problem is: I need double-sided printing with real laser quality.
<
< So I want the texts to be printed (on an Apple LaserWriter) *directly*
<on both sides. What I mean is I don't want to print a first single-sided
<version and then have it double-sided with a %$#%$ photocopier.
< Since I can't do it hard (and modify the printer), let it be soft. The
<best way I could figure is to print first all the odd pages, feed the
<LaserWriter with them bottom up and then print the even pages in reverse
<order. That would be a great idea if I only had the slightest idea on how
<to do this...

< So, is there a trick (or even a regular method :-) to achieve this?
<Or maybe another solution? Any idea or suggestion would be *greatly*
<appreciated. Thanks.

You're not going to like the answer (one page at a time) but if you're
really motivated it works. I've even done things in landscape changing
the gutter width to chop off the inside half of the page. Using this
method, you put the paper through the printer FOUR times. That took some
motivation!

Since FullWrite gives us the option of printing only odd or only even
pages, I'm really hoping that Microsoft felt some pressure to add this
to Version 4.0, but since I haven't seen this listed as a new feature
anyplace, I'm not holding my breath.

Please, Microsoft, we need this simple capability. It's a lot more practical
than printing pages in reverse order. If you really want
to do something fancy, let us print a real 2-up (not reduced please). Using
landscape (Wide) mode you could print both pages on the same sheet of paper
and save half your paper costs on review copies.

For those who use landscape mode, I learned a neat trick you can use to
get two-sided copies backed up correctly.

First set the gutter margin to at least half the page width (5.5 + any real
gutter you want for binding, I use 5.75). This prints odd pages on the
right side of the 8.5 x 11-inch page and even pages on the left side.

When you go to a copier that automatically copies from one-sided to two-sided,
turn the even pages upside down. (In essence, you are putting all the text
at the top (or bottom) of the page if you hold it in portrait direction.)

Now you only have one cut to make and all of the pages are backed up
correctly.

Shirley Kehr

remy@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Remy Sanouillet) (04/07/89)

In article <8178@polya.Stanford.EDU> kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) writes:
>In article <21593@etlcom.etl.JUNET> michel@etlcom.etl.JUNET (Michel Pasquier) writes:
>
>> The problem is: I need double-sided printing with real laser quality.
>
>Yes.  Print the entire document, single sided.  Next, reverse Pairs of pages,
>so that the page order is 2, 1, 4, 3, 6, 5, ... etc, and turn the pages
>upside down.  Now feed them in again and print the entire document.

Another, even simpler method, is to re-insert the stack of single-sided
pages flipped over (i.e. the blank side up, in normal order 1, 2, 3, 4, ...)
in the tray with a blank sheet of paper on top. Reprint the entire document, and you get two interlaced documents, one with the first page on the right, the
other with the first page on the left.
Of course, if your document exceeds the capacity of the tray, this involves
a little more paper shuffling.

Remy Sanouillet                      |      E-mail: remy@caltech.BITNET
256-80 Caltech                       |              remy@csvax.caltech.edu
Pasadena, CA 91125                   |              ...seismo!cit-vax!remy
Tel. (818) 356-6262                  |