[comp.sys.mac] DMCS 2.5 + Mac II

david@varian.UUCP (David Brown) (04/01/89)

I recently purchased Deluxe Music Construction Set v2.5 for a Mac II
and am bothered by an annoying little thing - there is a click at
the beginning, and most noticeably, at the end of every instance of playing.
This is most noticeable when I am just picking out notes from the
piano display; when playing back a piece, the notes are coming rapidly
enough so that the click only happens at the beginning and end of
the whole piece.  It sounds like DMCS is turning on and off the sound
chip constantly.  I have tried it on several Mac II's (under Multifinder,
the ending click may be one or two seconds later, but it still happens).
I also tried a Mac Plus - worked OK there.

Has anyone else encountered this?  I called Electronic Arts, and the
only thing that they could suggest was a bad diskette; that they've
had no such problems on a Mac II.

Other than the click, the program looks pretty nice.  There are a
few features I would have liked to seen (in case anyone out there
is evaluating low-end music programs):
   1) ability to enter notes from the Mac keyboard (I think Concertware
   has this).
   2) print preview

Also, a hint that's not in the manual - if you use a Laserwriter,
run Multifinder and don't have the Adobe Sonata printer fonts,
turn off background printing or run UniFinder
(or install Sonata screen fonts in your System file) -
if you don't, the background printing task won't find any Sonata
fonts and will print garbage.

off background printing
--
David Brown	 415-649-4000
Orion Network Systems 1995 University Ave. Suite 350 Berkeley CA 94704

mblakele@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Michael Blakeley) (04/06/89)

In article <705@varian.UUCP> david@varian.UUCP (David Brown) writes:
>I recently purchased Deluxe Music Construction Set v2.5 for a Mac II
>and am bothered by an annoying little thing - there is a click at
>the beginning, and most noticeably, at the end of every instance of playing.
>This is most noticeable when I am just picking out notes from the
>piano display; when playing back a piece, the notes are coming rapidly
>enough so that the click only happens at the beginning and end of
>the whole piece.  It sounds like DMCS is turning on and off the sound
>chip constantly.  I have tried it on several Mac II's (under Multifinder,
>the ending click may be one or two seconds later, but it still happens).
>I also tried a Mac Plus - worked OK there.
>
>Has anyone else encountered this?  I called Electronic Arts, and the
>only thing that they could suggest was a bad diskette; that they've
>had no such problems on a Mac II.

	Yeah, I've had the same problems.  It's even more annoying through
external speakers, and the sig/noise is pretty low, too.  Maybe EA wants
us all to use midi instruments?
	I could handle building my own interface, I guess, but I'm a
guitar player, and I don,t like any of the midi guitars around.  Why
buy a midi keyboard that I can't play?  If I had $ like that, I'd
get Virtual Memory and join ADPA, too.

>David Brown	 415-649-4000
>Orion Network Systems 1995 University Ave. Suite 350 Berkeley CA 94704
>{pacbell,lll-crg,zehntel,ista,rtech,csi,kinetics}!varian!david

P.S.
	If you have any music or instruments for DMCS you're willing to
share, please do.  My address is in the .sig

						-- tad

--
W 		       "Rident Stolidi Verba Latina"			     S
I  		        e-mail and random flames to:                         T

landman%hanami@Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman) (04/07/89)

In article <705@varian.UUCP> david@varian.UUCP (David Brown) writes:
>I recently purchased Deluxe Music Construction Set v2.5 for a Mac II
>and am bothered by an annoying little thing - there is a click at
>the beginning, and most noticeably, at the end of every instance of playing.

Yes, I think this happens on all Macs.  At least, it's grossly noticeable
on my Mac+.  Apple seems to have messed up bigtime on this.  If you want
to be really offended, try running your Mac through an efficient, high
quality external speaker.  The cruft becomes almost unbearable.  Also,
when the sound chip isn't playing, there are soft clicks at about 2 per
second.  Constantly.  Regardless of what the Mac is or isn't doing.

It doesn't seem to matter what program you're running.  Everything from
Reader Rabbit to SoundPlay behaves the same.  *CLICK* sound *CLICK*.

	Howard A. Landman
	landman@hanami.sun.com