[comp.sys.mac] Using Suitcase within applications

EUA@PSUVM.BITNET (Mel DeYoung) (04/05/89)

Is there anyway to make fonts available to a word processor from within the
application using Suitcase?  I've found that the fonts aren't available in Word
or MacWrite until the user quits the application and the re-launches the word p
rocessor.
Why does this happen, and does anyone know any ways around the problem?

bob@accuvax.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (04/05/89)

> Is there anyway to make fonts available to a word processor from within the
> application using Suitcase?  I've found that the fonts aren't available in
> Word or MacWrite until the user quits the application and the re-launches
> the word processor.
> Why does this happen, and does anyone know any ways around the problem?

  The reason is that the applications build the list of font as part of the
initialization process. If you add fonts to the list after the application
is running, the application has no way of telling to update it's menus to
reflect this change. Therefore you have to exit and relaunch.

Bob Hablutzel	Wildwood Software	BOB@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (04/05/89)

Programs like MacWrite which show a Font menu listing all the
available fonts generally build it just once, when they start up.  If
you change the fonts with Suitcase after you have started such a
program, it will have already set up the font menu and won't look to
see if the list has changed (it won't expect it to have).  (Programs
like Word 3.02 which display fonts in a dialog box probably do it once
the first time the list is needed.  They could do it each time,
though.)

This is why Suitcase puts up a warning when you change the fonts while
some program is running.

	/JBL
UUCP:     {backbone}!bbn!levin		POTS: (617) 873-3463
INTERNET: levin@bbn.com

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher) (04/07/89)

In article <79632EUA@PSUVM>, EUA@PSUVM.BITNET (Mel DeYoung) writes:

> Is there any way to make fonts available to a word processor from within the
> application using Suitcase?  I've found that the fonts aren't available in
> Word or MacWrite until the user quits the application and the re-launches the
> word processor.

Suitcase cannot update font menus of open applications.

Suitcase II can do this with respect to most font menus (but not lists), but
the net effect is not successful for several popular applications.  MacWrite
memorizes the positions of fonts in its font menu at the time MacWrite is
launched.  Word's font list (in the Cmd-D dialog box) is not accessible to
Suitcase II, and its font menu is constructed from the list.  There are some
applications which handle dynamic font menu updating flawlessly or almost so,
but not these two.  Dynamic font menu updating is a configuration option in
Suitcase II; as shipped, it is turned off.

I am the author of Suitcase and Suitcase II.

--

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher)