[comp.sys.mac] Hot monitor! Yeouch!

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (04/05/89)

My Mac II stays nice and cool, thanks to its variable-speed fan.  My
keyboard gets a bit warm from friction as my fingers fly over it, but
I'm not concerned about that.  :-)  What does bother me is that my
monitor gets very warm.  After a long session, the top is almost too
hot to touch.  Shouldn't this heat-generating component have a fan,
just like my computer?

If I wanted to mount an external fan on the thing (just like the
Kensington System Savers that mounted on the side of the Apple ][ or
in the handle of the old Macs), where would be a good place to put
it?  Would putting it on top be good?  And, which direction should it
blow?  Should it blow air in, or pull it out?

I'm not trying for a commercial product here, I just want to keep my
monitor cool.  It's an Apple 13" RGB, by the way.

--
Mark H. Anbinder                                ** MHA@TCGould.tn.cornell.edu
NG33 MVR Hall, Media Services Dept.             ** THCY@CRNLVAX5.BITNET

syap@cc.rochester.edu (James Fitzwilliam) (04/06/89)

In article <7675@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) writes:
*What does bother me is that my monitor gets very warm.
*...
*If I wanted to mount an external fan on the thing...
*...  Would putting it on top be good?  And, which direction should it
*blow?  Should it blow air in, or pull it out?

If your monitor is convection cooled, that would explain the top getting hot.
Your best bet would be to assist this process by putting the fan on top
pulling air up (out).  For things that are vented side-to-side, it would
seem to make less difference, though one hardware person I talked to suggested
I do the same there (pull air out) to prevent blowing dust into the unit.

A friend of mine who was cannibalizing a line printer was nice enough to give
me the fans; one sits on top of my Plus, the other next to my hard drive.
Both pull air out, and even in summer with extra RAM, it stays quite frosty.

Hope this helps.

					James

syap@vera.cc.rochester.edu       |
...!rochester!vera!syap          | My quotes and disclaimer have the day off.
GEnie: FITZWILLIAM               |

nghiem@ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) (04/07/89)

In article <7675@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) writes:
> My Mac II stays nice and cool, thanks to its variable-speed fan.  My
> keyboard gets a bit warm from friction as my fingers fly over it, but
> I'm not concerned about that.  :-)  What does bother me is that my
> monitor gets very warm.  After a long session, the top is almost too
> hot to touch.  Shouldn't this heat-generating component have a fan,
> just like my computer?
>
>It's an Apple 13" RGB, by the way.

I think you could check with Apple and see if the excess heat is
from a design defect.

A few month's ago, I bought a Sony 19" Trinitron.

First I noted a burning semi-conductor smell.

Next, the RGB colors started diverging by about two inches.

When I found that my Trinitron was assembled in Mexico,
I took it back. Unlike the Japanese manufactured Sonys a lot of
my buddies have, the Mexican set appeared to have an electronic assembly
problems.

Then, back at work, about three months ago,
we got two new Apple 13" RGB (Manfactured by Sony.)
Although these units are marked "Made in Japan", they began to
exhibit the same burning semi-conductor smell. (May be the internals
are assembled in Mexico?) After about an hour of use, the colors
begin to diverge by about a milimeter, not enough to warrant interrupting
development by several days on order to take the monitors to the shop.

When we compare the new monitors to an identical monitor we have in
the lab that is over a year old, we noticed that the new screens
have a bluish-white tint instead of the greenish-white tint of the
older model. The new screens are noticeably hotter. However, the
line that separates the two pieces of the mask at the lower third
of the screen is less visible on the new models that on the older model.

If we compare our MacII that is over a year old to the new one's:

The old one has a Sony made power supply; the new ones have
ASTEC (Taiwan?) power supplies that make more noise.
However, the old MacII has a 5.25" Quantun
HD40. The new ones have 3.25" HD40's that are less noisy and
noticeably quicker...

nghiem

standard disclaimer...