[comp.sys.mac] ZTerm 0.75

makela@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (04/05/89)

I have noticed a strange incompatibility with ZTerm 0.75 and the Multifinder.
When using the ZTerm under Multifinder, without having anything special going
on in the background (just GIFfer and StuffIt) the ZTerm font without any
provocation suddenly changed into a scaled-down Helvetica (or whatever you
call that sans-serif font you get with the system).  At the time I *think*
the machine that was online sent a "inverse-field" ESCape sequence.  But I'm
not sure if it has anything to do with the happening.

I had to restart ZTerm to get it OK again... it's no fun trying to use a
remote computer with a relative-width font !

I've had this happen a couple of times to me now, so I'm sure it's nothing
random (bad ESC sequences or such).

Anyone know what's happening ?

Otto J. Makela (with poetic license to kill), University of Jyvaskyla

InterNet: makela@tukki.jyu.fi, BitNet: MAKELA_OTTO_@FINJYU.BITNET
BBS: +358 41 211 562 (V.22bis/V.22/V.21, 24h/d), Phone: +358 41 613 847
Mail: Kauppakatu 1 B 18, SF-40100 Jyvaskyla, Finland, EUROPE

kallio@tukki.jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio) (04/05/89)

Yes I have had these same problems with ZTerm 0.75 and Multifinder.
The font changes to some other, sometimes after file transfer, sometimes
after more? -question in more ... I can not gues what is the original
cause.

Cound the Author add vt200 -keyboard previous screen, next screen,
Do, Help, select, Insert, Remove -keys to the program. I have been using
VAX/VMS eve and Unix Emacs and I miss these nice keys a lot on my new MacII
when I have this ceyboard with those keys (but they do not work on ZTerm 0.75)

Seppo Kallio   University of Jyvaskyla

rudolph@m.cs.uiuc.edu (04/06/89)

/* Written  6:02 pm  Apr  4, 1989 by makela@tukki.jyu.fi in m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac */
/* ---------- "ZTerm 0.75" ---------- */
I have noticed a strange incompatibility with ZTerm 0.75 and the Multifinder.
When using the ZTerm under Multifinder, without having anything special going
on in the background (just GIFfer and StuffIt) the ZTerm font without any
provocation suddenly changed into a scaled-down Helvetica (or whatever you
/* End of text from m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac */

I had a similar keyboard problem with ZTerm 0.75 and Word 3.01 running.
Although the font did not switch in this case, when I was in Word, the
option key did not work properly.  ZTerm uses option as control, but it
seems that the remapping somehow remained in effect when I was in Word.
As soon as I quit ZTerm, option characters worked again in Word.

David Rudolph	rudolph@m.cs.uiuc.edu
University of Illinois

fjo@ttrdf.UUCP (Frank Owen ) (04/07/89)

in article <559@tukki.jyu.fi>, makela@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) says:
> on in the background (just GIFfer and StuffIt) the ZTerm font without any
> provocation suddenly changed into a scaled-down Helvetica (or whatever you
> call that sans-serif font you get with the system).  At the time I *think*
> the machine that was online sent a "inverse-field" ESCape sequence.  But I'm

I had the same problem with Zterm.

I too think that a strange escape sequence is causing the problem, as it
happened to me under similiar circumstances.

Is Mr. Alverson on the net?

--
Frank Owen (fjo@ttrdf)  312-982-2182
AT&T Bell Laboratories

macak@lakesys.UUCP (James Macak) (04/07/89)

In article <924@ttrdf.UUCP> fjo@ttrdf.UUCP (Frank Owen ) writes:
>in article <559@tukki.jyu.fi>, makela@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) says:
>> on in the background (just GIFfer and StuffIt) the ZTerm font without any
(Description of problem deleted.)

>Is Mr. Alverson on the net?

I have not noticed Dave Alverson's presence on the net, but he is active on
FidoNet's EchoMac section, and has respoonded to bug reports and suggestions
for ZTerm on EchoMac.

I've copied the messages regarding this problem and will forward them to Dave
Alverson via EchoMac.  He seems quite responsive to mail regarding ZTerm.

Jim

--

Jim Macak  <lakesys!macak@csd1.milw.wisc.edu>