[comp.sys.mac] Need Hard Drive Info

bfc@hpislx.HP.COM (Bryan Carpenter) (04/04/89)

I have a Supermac Dataframe XP20 that has developed a worsening habit of
not spinning up when the power is turned on.  The drive inside is a 3.5
inch Miniscribe model 8425.  I talked to Supermac tech support, and they
recommended that I could use a Seagate ST-225 as a replacement, as that
was one of the drives that they used in the XP20.

I would prefer to replace it with a Seagate ST-125, which is a 3.5"
20 Meg drive.  All of these drives, the ST-225, the ST-125, and the
Miniscribe 8425 have the same number of heads, sectors, and cylinders,
but they are spec'ed differently for write precompensation as follows:

Miniscribe 8425: cylinder 128
Seagate ST-225:  cylinder 300
Seagate ST-125:  none

Since the info I got from Supermac seems to indicate that either of the
first two drives can be used without changing anything in the controller,
can I assume that the ST-125 could be used also?  I assume that the
controller is currently using write precompensation of some sort.  Does
anyone know if the use of write precomp on a drive that doesn't call for
it will foul up the integrity of the written data?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

Bryan Carpenter
bfc%hpisla@hplabs.hp.com

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (04/06/89)

Bryan,

SuperMac used the following drives in the early DataFrame 20 hard disk:

     Seagate ST225
     Microscience HH-725

So, you can either buy an out-of-warranty replacement or you can use a ST225.

Also, any possibility that you could be using a very, old power supply?

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!fabian

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (04/07/89)

In article <16731@cup.portal.com> Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) writes:
>SuperMac used the following drives in the early DataFrame 20 hard disk:
>
>     Seagate ST225
>     Microscience HH-725
>
>So, you can either buy an out-of-warranty replacement or you can use a ST225.

Fabian,

Didn't you forget (at least) one of the early DF-20 drives?  Mine is one of
the very early ones and has a Lapine (sp?) mechanism.  Very quiet and it
starts up much more quickly than others that I've used.

--
Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.