[comp.sys.mac] Downloading GIF's --> HELP!

parnes@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Gary Parnes) (04/07/89)

Hey!  I'm trying to download GIF's from my account to my Mac using Kermit.
I've tried every possible mode (so I believe), but when I try to load them up
with VisionLab, it gives me an error, saying that the file is an invalid GIF
file.  What am I doing wrong?  And no, these files are not BinHex'd.  They
are the raw GIF data...

						Gary

/=============================================================================\
| "You're obviously misinformed... everything  |  Gary Parnes		      |
|  EAST of the San Andreas Fault is going to   |  Computer Science Engineer   |
|  fall into the ATLANTIC Ocean."              |  University of Pennsylvania  |
|   *** parnes@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.uucp ***   |  *NOT* Penn State, Dammit!   |
\=============================================================================/

swerling@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ace Swerling) (04/07/89)

In article <9656@netnews.upenn.edu> parnes@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Gary Parnes) writes:
>Hey!  I'm trying to download GIF's from my account to my Mac using Kermit.
>I've tried every possible mode (so I believe), but when I try to load them up
>with VisionLab, it gives me an error, saying that the file is an invalid GIF
>file.  What am I doing wrong?  And no, these files are not BinHex'd.  They
>are the raw GIF data...
>
>/=============================================================================\
>| "You're obviously misinformed... everything  |  Gary Parnes		      |
>|  EAST of the San Andreas Fault is going to   |  Computer Science Engineer   |
>|  fall into the ATLANTIC Ocean."              |  University of Pennsylvania  |
>|   *** parnes@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.uucp ***   |  *NOT* Penn State, Dammit!   |

In order to get GIF files from ftp sites, every transfer you do must be in
binary mode.  So, when you ftp, you have to set binary or tenex.  Then do a
binary kermit transfer to your Mac.  That should work.

-Ace
Univeristy of the National Champion Wolverines