[comp.sys.mac] Online documentation for Mac progra

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (03/24/89)

In article <798@ethz.UUCP> macman@ethz.UUCP (Danny Schwendener) writes:

>Also check out the "Technotes" stack, which contains all currently
>published technotes, with an index and a great find by keyword feature.

As hinted at some time ago, we just released the first Macintosh Technical
Notes stack to Partners, Associates, and Certified developers this month.
It is version 3.0 and includes all Notes through #221 (1985-1988).  Since
it is distributed using StuffIt (Thanks Ray...), we will not be putting it
out any other channel (Usenet, APDA, AppleLink, etc) until licensing agreements
are finalized.  If you have paid your individual StuffIt fee, however, there
is no reason some developer couldn't reStuff their copy and send it to SUMEX
and a few other sites.  Considering the size (770K stuffed), you may not
want to post it in other places...

Updates will be coming out quarterly, with the first one due for the Developers
Conference in May.  For those of you who have seen it, let us know what you
think, we are interested in your feedback...
Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac) (03/24/89)

In article <27778@apple.Apple.COM> mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes:
>As hinted at some time ago, we just released the first Macintosh
>Technical Notes stack to Partners, Associates, and Certified
>developers this month.  It is version 3.0 and includes all Notes
>through #221 (1985-1988).  Since it is distributed using StuffIt
>(Thanks Ray...), we will not be putting it out any other channel
>(Usenet, APDA, AppleLink, etc) until licensing agreements are
>finalized.  If you have paid your individual StuffIt fee, however,
>there is no reason some developer couldn't reStuff their copy and
>send it to SUMEX and a few other sites.  Considering the size (770K
>stuffed), you may not want to post it in other places...

I think this stack is a brilliant alternative to YA4IBCMD (Yet Another
4 Inch Binder Covering My Desk).  I was so impressed with the
usefulness of this stack that I promptly BinHexed it (1.06Mbytes),
uploaded it to local Unix box (thank goodness we bought those
Etherport cards!), and mailed it to info-mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu in
21 50K installments, carefully spaced out to reduce mailer barfing.
I'll check with the info-mac moderators today to find out if it
arrived in good order.

Now, if we could just get IM I-V in machine-readable form...

Ephraim Vishniac  /  Internet: ephraim@think.com  / AppleLink: ThinkingCorp
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

	"Arlo Guthrie, it seems, has found what he was looking for:
		God, and the Macintosh." (Boston Globe)

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (03/25/89)

In article <37915@think.UUCP> ephraim@think.com (Ephraim Vishniac) writes:

>Now, if we could just get IM I-V in machine-readable form...

You can bet there are many people within pushing for exactly that...but then
there are always those who think IM should be of a coffee table variety...

falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R Falkenburg) (03/31/89)

In article <27778@apple.Apple.COM>, mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes:
> As hinted at some time ago, we just released the first Macintosh Technical
> Notes stack to Partners, Associates, and Certified developers this month.
> It is version 3.0 and includes all Notes through #221 (1985-1988).  Since
> it is distributed using StuffIt (Thanks Ray...), we will not be putting it
> out any other channel (Usenet, APDA, AppleLink, etc) until licensing agreements

> Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
> Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
> Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

Isn't the Unstuffit program freeware?   I've been using it for a while, but didn't know
that it had a cost involved-- i know the regular full stuffit does.

-dave

--
Dave Falkenburg @ University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network
ARPA: falken@caen.engin.umich.edu    UUCP: umix!caen.engin.umich.edu!falken

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (03/31/89)

In article <4255fe4a.bb89@spam.engin.umich.edu> falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R  Falkenburg) writes:
>Isn't the Unstuffit program freeware?   I've been using it for a while, but didn't know
>that it had a cost involved-- i know the regular full stuffit does.

Yes, UnStuffIt is free, but for Apple to use StuffIt to compress the archives
and distribute them, we have to comply with the licensing agreements ... like
any other individual or company should.

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (04/01/89)

In article <28111@apple.Apple.COM> mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes:
>Yes, UnStuffIt is free, but for Apple to use StuffIt to compress the archives
>and distribute them, we have to comply with the licensing agreements ... like
>any other individual or company should.

Surely Apple could come up with the 15 or 20 dollars for a license...

Ray's policy for Stuffit is that you only have to pay if you want to
use it to *create* archives.  Unstuffing has always been free (though
in my opinion if anyone deserves a shareware fee, Ray Lau does).

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (04/02/89)

In article <1113@esquire.UUCP> sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) writes:

>Surely Apple could come up with the 15 or 20 dollars for a license...

Unfortunately, its not that inexpensive or easy for corporations distributing
what the StuffIt folks call "commercial products..."

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (04/04/89)

In article <28235@apple.Apple.COM> mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes:
>In article <1113@esquire.UUCP> sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) writes:
>>
>>Surely Apple could come up with the 15 or 20 dollars for a license...
>>
>Unfortunately, its not that inexpensive or easy for corporations distributing
>what the StuffIt folks call "commercial products..."
>
>Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
>Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
>Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

OK.  Well, assuming that's the case, why not just write a Unix/MPW tool
that will create a stuffit archive.  Most Unix boxes have "compress"
for the Lempel-Ziv compression, so then it's just a matter of dummying
up some headers and concatenating the whole thing together.

By the way, the thought of Apple complaining because a developer
is charging what they think is too much for a product or service is
almost too funny to bear...

( Please don't take that last crack personally, however, no matter
  how good it felt to write it... )

--

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (04/04/89)

In article <1120@esquire.UUCP> sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) writes:
>OK.  Well, assuming that's the case, why not just write a Unix/MPW tool
>that will create a stuffit archive.  Most Unix boxes have "compress"
>for the Lempel-Ziv compression, so then it's just a matter of dummying
>up some headers and concatenating the whole thing together.
>
>By the way, the thought of Apple complaining because a developer
>is charging what they think is too much for a product or service is
>almost too funny to bear...
>
>( Please don't take that last crack personally, however, no matter
>  how good it felt to write it... )

We thought about doing that (unofficially, of course), but decided to help
more people (can't force everyone to purchase and use MPW) by licensing
StuffIt for all of Apple.  This way Apple recognizes and uses a "de facto"
standard (not arguing its good points or bad) which has been set by the
Macintosh users of the world (not forced upon you by Apple) as well as
"helping" the developer (Ray Lau in this case) make a few dollars instead
of trying to shut him out by rolling our own.  Granted, a tool would be
useful, and I won't count it out, but it's just not a high priority right
now.

As for the cost, the delay is more on bureaucracy than cost.  You know,
that's one of the other negative effects of "success..."

:-)

and trying to
li
e thought about doing that (unofficially of course) and decided to help more

stores@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (04/07/89)

In article <28349@apple.Apple.COM> mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes:
>In article <1120@esquire.UUCP> sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) writes:
>>OK.  Well, assuming that's the case, why not just write a Unix/MPW tool
>>that will create a stuffit archive.  Most Unix boxes have "compress"
>>for the Lempel-Ziv compression, so then it's just a matter of dummying
>>up some headers and concatenating the whole thing together.

>"helping" the developer (Ray Lau in this case) make a few dollars instead
>of trying to shut him out by rolling our own.  Granted, a tool would be

Why does Apple have to write the tool maybe ray can write it and
sell it to apple.

Just  my $0.02 worth

Matthew Mora
SRI International                            stores@SRI.COM