[comp.sys.mac] Crooked screen - how do I fix it?

kenk@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (Ken Konecki) (03/29/89)

Hello everybody,

As you could probably tell from the subject I have a screen on my SE
that kind of slopes at a small (but noticable and irritating) angle up
and to the right. Is there any way that I can fix this without
resorting to the computer doctors? Any and all help would be
appreciated.

Thanks a billion,
    -Ken K
--
Ken Konecki
"A squeegee by any other name wouldn't sound as funny"

davidl@intelob.intel.com (David Levine) (03/31/89)

In article <1241@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US> kenk@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (Ken Konecki) writes:
> As you could probably tell from the subject I have a screen on my SE
> that kind of slopes at a small (but noticable and irritating) angle up
> and to the right. Is there any way that I can fix this without
> resorting to the computer doctors? Any and all help would be
> appreciated.

Well, you could place a small object (say, an eraser) under the
left-hand side of your Mac...

Sorry, it's close to April Fools' Day and I couldn't resist.

Actually, all you have to do is get a friend who knows how to handle a
CRT and have him or her open the Mac and gently twist the yoke until
the screen is straight.  It's really quite simple if you know what
you're doing, but very dangerous if you don't.  No kidding: you could
DIE if you touch the wrong thing at the wrong time.  Only an
experienced technician should attempt this stunt.

            David D. Levine                BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNN  NNNN TM
        Senior Technical Writer            BBBB  BBBB iiii iiii NNNN NNNN
                                           BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNNNNNNNN
UUCP: ...[!uunet]!tektronix!biin!davidl    BBBB  BBBB IIII IIII NNNN NNNN
MX-Internet: <davidl@intelob.intel.com>    BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNNN  NNN
ARPA: <@iwarp.intel.com:davidl@intelob.intel.com>

schmoldt@dcdwest1.UUCP (Daryl Schmoldt) (04/08/89)

In article <DAVIDL.89Mar30140217@intelob.intel.com> davidl@intelob.intel.com (David Levine) writes:
>In article <1241@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US> kenk@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (Ken Konecki) writes:
>> As you could probably tell from the subject I have a screen on my SE
>> that kind of slopes at a small (but noticable and irritating) angle up
>> and to the right. Is there any way that I can fix this without
>> resorting to the computer doctors? Any and all help would be
>> appreciated.

>Actually, all you have to do is get a friend who knows how to handle a
>CRT and have him or her open the Mac and gently twist the yoke until
>the screen is straight.  It's really quite simple if you know what
>you're doing, but very dangerous if you don't.  No kidding: you could
>DIE if you touch the wrong thing at the wrong time.  Only an
>experienced technician should attempt this stunt.

Actually, it may not even be that difficult a problem to fix.  Before
you go jamming your phalanges (or your friends phalanges for that
matter) into the back of your CRT, I would advise taking a good look
around your workspace for anything that might generate a magnetic
force or that has any magnets in it.  I once had a small stereo
speaker (the kind that you would find in a car) on a table a good 15"
away from my monitor and found that even at that distance the force
was strong enough to throw the beam off center.  Anyways this is easy
enough to do and may save you time, money, friends, etc.

	Daryl Schmoldt
	ITT Defense Communications
	San Diego, CA
	e-mail: schmoldt@dcdwest.UCSD.EDU