[comp.sys.mac] Can MultiFinder turn itself on?

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (04/05/89)

This may sound like a silly question, but is there any way that the
Set Startup option could become set to MultiFinder instead of Finder
through any way OTHER than the user doing so manually?

One of our users has experienced a problem where MultiFinder was set
as the startup option.  She KNOWS that she didn't turn it on, and
she's VIRTUALLY CERTAIN that no one else would have done it (she's
the only one who has physical access to the computer most of the time,
as it's in a locked enclosure).  Could this happen any other way?  Is
there a procedure that would allow software to change this setting?  If
so, does anyone know of any software that's rude enough to do so?

This is just the latest in a string of problems she's been having with
this computer, including Excel reporting file locked errors when the
files were definitely NOT locked or otherwise busy, and Excel setting
the Save As format to SYLK all by itself.

Is there a connection among these things?  Anyone recognize these Excel
problems?  Are we the victims of a cosmic April Fools joke?  :-)

--
Mark H. Anbinder                                ** MHA@TCGould.tn.cornell.edu
NG33 MVR Hall, Media Services Dept.             ** THCY@CRNLVAX5.BITNET

bob@accuvax.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (04/05/89)

> One of our users has experienced a problem where MultiFinder was set
> as the startup option.  She KNOWS that she didn't turn it on, and
> she's VIRTUALLY CERTAIN that no one else would have done it (she's
> the only one who has physical access to the computer most of the time,
> as it's in a locked enclosure).  Could this happen any other way?  Is
> there a procedure that would allow software to change this setting?  If
> so, does anyone know of any software that's rude enough to do so?

 Well, the Installer _might_ be, not sure. Or if you don't use the installer,
but have upgraded the system recently by dragging, this could definately
cause problems. The deal is that copying a system file and finder from one
disk to another causes the boot blocks from the first disk to be copied to the
second. Some if the information in the boot block (at offset $5A, btw), is
the startup application - Finder or Multifinder on Apple system disks.

  Of course, there could just be disk gnomes running wild.

Bob Hablutzel	Wildwood Software	BOB@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU

jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw) (04/06/89)

In article <7671@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) writes:
> This may sound like a silly question, but is there any way that the
> Set Startup option could become set to MultiFinder instead of Finder
> through any way OTHER than the user doing so manually?

Of course it IS possible, but (VERY) highly unlikely.  MultiFinder is an
application, but its file-type is set to System Software (instead of the
normal application's type of APPL); consequently it will not appear in
lists of applications provided by most transfer menus, auto-application-
executives, etc.  Furthermore, the format of the "Finder Startup" file
(which determines which applications--and what Finder environment--are
executed initially) is not publically documented.  While certain 3rd-party
products may access or alter its function (having obtained the format from
Apple), these products are all "finder-substitutes" which your user would
be aware of had she one installed.

> She KNOWS that she didn't turn it on, and
> she's VIRTUALLY CERTAIN that no one else would have done it (she's
> the only one who has physical access to the computer most of the time,
> as it's in a locked enclosure).  Could this happen any other way?  Is
> there a procedure that would allow software to change this setting?  If
> so, does anyone know of any software that's rude enough to do so?

No no and no. At this point, I would either suspect the system file of
being corrupted or begin to doubt the expertise of the user as a bug-
reporter / recaller-of-her-former-actions.

> This is just the latest in a string of problems she's been having with
> this computer, including Excel reporting file locked errors when the
> files were definitely NOT locked or otherwise busy, and Excel setting
> the Save As format to SYLK all by itself.

I have seen FileLocked errors appear sporatically in place of both "File
Damaged/Busy" and "File Open Elsewhere" contexts.  Remember that in the
event of a crash, certain files may be left open; and consequently in-
accessible until the user or some observant program choses to shut them.
(The DeskZap da has an explicit CLOSE option, for instance.  Use it with
caution.)  Many programs set the Save As format to the format of the last
opened file ... could this be Excel's "problem?"

These are just stray thoughts.  "User debugging" is so much more a heuristic
endeavor than "program debugging (:->."  Hope it helps.

     _  _|\____    Nick Jackiw | Visual Geometry Project | Math Department
   / /_/   O>  \   ------------+-------------------------+ Swarthmore College
    \_Guernica_/   ------------+-------------------------+                 USA

austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) (04/08/89)

In article <7671@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) writes:
> This may sound like a silly question, but is there any way that the
> Set Startup option could become set to MultiFinder instead of Finder
> through any way OTHER than the user doing so manually?

Yes, if a System and Finder have been moved to the hard disk, the boot blocks
are written on the hard disk.  I'm not sure, but I think that Installer will
also write the boot blocks on an upgrade to the System.

| Glenn L. Austin             | The nice thing about standards is that      |
| Apple Computer, Inc.        | there are so many of them to choose from.   |
| Internet: austing@apple.com |       -Andrew S. Tanenbaum                  |
| All opinions stated above are mine -- who else would want them?           |

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher) (04/08/89)

In article <2646@carthage.cs.swarthmore.edu>, jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu
(Nick Jackiw) writes:

> [T]he "Finder Startup" file ... determines which applications--and what
> Finder environment--are executed initially...

The name of the startup application in the boot blocks is what determines the
initial evvironment.  Finder's Set Startup command, when invoked with the
MultiFinder radio button on, writes "MultiFinder" into the boot blocks as the
name of the startup "application."  On startup, MultiFinder is launched,
installs itself, and quits.  The shell application (normally Finder) is then
launched.  Finder uses the Finder Startup file to determine what applications
and DAs, if any, to automatically open.  Finder Startup is not used unless
MultiFinder is on.
--

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher)