[comp.sys.mac] EtherTalk disables printer port?

greg@tandem.Tandem.com (Greg Stewart) (04/07/89)

I have installed an Apple EtherTalk in my Mac IIx and used the
Control Panel 'Network' device to send AppleTalk out over
Ethernet instead of the 'Built-In' printer port.  It seems that
once AppleTalk is redirected to Ethernet, my printer port should
be freed up for async use.

However, both Red Ryder and MacMenlo, my terminal emulators, are
unable to open the printer port once AppleTalk is enabled.  MacMenlo
even complains that the printer port is in use by AppleTalk.  How
can this be?  AppleTalk should be going out over Ethernet.  Rebooting
does not help.

Any help would be appreciated!
--
Greg Stewart                          Phone: (408) 996-6561
Tandem Computers Incorporated      Internet: greg@tandem.com

austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) (04/08/89)

In article <426@tandem.Tandem.com> greg@tandem.Tandem.com (Greg Stewart) writes:
>I have installed an Apple EtherTalk in my Mac IIx and used the
>Control Panel 'Network' device to send AppleTalk out over
>Ethernet instead of the 'Built-In' printer port.  It seems that
>once AppleTalk is redirected to Ethernet, my printer port should
>be freed up for async use.

Unfortunately, this is not the case.  Whenever Appletalk is active, the
printer port is marked as "in use."  This is a known bug with Appletalk.

| Glenn L. Austin             | The nice thing about standards is that      |
| Apple Computer, Inc.        | there are so many of them to choose from.   |
| Internet: austing@apple.com |       -Andrew S. Tanenbaum                  |
| All opinions stated above are mine -- who else would want them?           |

wrs@apple.com (Walter Smith) (04/08/89)

writes:
> It seems that
> once AppleTalk is redirected to Ethernet, my printer port should
> be freed up for async use.

It certainly seems that way, doesn't it?  Unfortunately, it isn't true.
You can't use the printer port for async communications while EtherTalk 1.1
is in use.  Yes, that's silly.  The good news is that this problem is
fixed in a forthcoming version of EtherTalk.

Note: I have nothing to do with EtherTalk except that I've been trying to
use my printer port with it for the past few days...
--
Walter Smith                            wrs@apple.com, apple!wrs
Apple Computer, Inc.                    (408) 974-5892