[comp.sys.mac] QUICKEYS and the Control Panel

clye@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Christopher Lye) (04/08/89)

 Hi I'm playing with the demo of QUICKEYS that I found in the PMUG
library, trying to decide how useful a MACRO program would be.

Anyways one of the things that would be really useful for a macro to
do for me would be to:
Open control panel
drag the scroll bar down so that I can see that startup device icon.
Click on the icon, than select my other hard drive as the startup
device.
RESTART

Now I've duped out that it would involve that click/drag option,
and the restart special, and that it would all have to be included
as part of a a sequence w/pauses. However, I've tried this and
it just doesn;t work. CAN quickeys perform an operation like this
or am I just trying in vain.?

I appreciate any help, step by step instrcutions would be nice.
If this really can work, then i might consider getting the real thing

thanks,

         Chris Lye

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (04/10/89)

In article <7639@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, clye@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Christopher Lye) writes:

> [wants to use a Macro program to change his startup device]
>
> Now I've duped out that it would involve that click/drag option,
> and the restart special, and that it would all have to be included
> as part of a a sequence w/pauses. However, I've tried this and
> it just doesn;t work. CAN quickeys perform an operation like this
> or am I just trying in vain.?

	QuicKeys can most certainly perform this as one of the macros supplied
with the real product show how to open the Control Panel and select QuicKeys
(so modifying it to do the Startup Device should be easy).  HOWEVER, if you
are doing to be doing complex Macros (like this) you might want to consider
looking into Tempo II or (I can't beleive I am saying this) MacroMaker.  Both
of them work by doing a REAL record of your actions rather than having you build
it from pieces.  I find it more intuitive to just say RECORD, do what I normally
do, and then STOP RECORDING.

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025