[comp.sys.mac] Apple price reductions: for Higher Ed only

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (04/06/89)

For those of you who saw my earlier posting about Apple price reductions
effective on April 1, here is a more official clarification:

Prices are only reduced on Higher Education (HEPP) programs only.  Now that
is not terrible, but it is not as across-the-board as I would have liked to
see.

Since these prices cannot be distributed because of confidentiality, I cannot
list the new prices, but I can list the price differences between the new and
old prices.  A Mac Plus is now $136 less, a Mac SE CPU is now $351 less, and
a Mac SE HD20 CPU is $391 less.

Maybe this is a sign of things to come(?)...

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (04/07/89)

#
# Maybe this is a sign of things to come(?)...
#
# -Michael

Why are the prices confidential? I get a price list just by
calling our campus distributor. Nobody says either verbally
or in writing on the price list that it is confidential.
Unless I'm missing something, I don't see why I couldn't
post such prices once I get the new list.

Steve Goldfield

u545731798ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) (04/07/89)

In article <22726@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
>In article <6577@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
># Since these prices cannot be distributed because of confidentiality, I cannot
># list the new prices
>#
># -Michael
>
>Why are the prices confidential? I get a price list just by
>calling our campus distributor. Nobody says either verbally
>or in writing on the price list that it is confidential.
>Unless I'm missing something, I don't see why I couldn't
>post such prices once I get the new list.
>
>Steve Goldfield

The dealer's cost price is confidential, what the dealer charges you is not.
Here at UCD the new selling prices (for students, staff and faculty) are:

	Mac Plus     : 999.00 (at last, under 1K!)
	Mac SE       : 1645.00
	Mac SE HD 20 : ~2000.00 (don't remember exactly)

Hope that helps...

-----
Greg DeMichillie
Apple Student Rep - UC Davis
lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu
AppleLink: ST0178

Disclaimer: If you've seen one disclaimer, you've seen them all.

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (04/07/89)

In article <22726@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
> In article <6577@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
> # Since these prices cannot be distributed because of confidentiality, I
>
> Why are the prices confidential? I get a price list just by
> calling our campus distributor. Nobody says either verbally
> or in writing on the price list that it is confidential.
> Unless I'm missing something, I don't see why I couldn't
> post such prices once I get the new list.
>
> Steve Goldfield

You are free to distribute this on your own campus.  However, in public
this is a no-no.  Just look at the top of the price list where it says
"Confidential Price List."  If yours doesn't say this, then it is not
an official Apple price list; many campuses produce their own to spruce
things up a bit.

Also, I believe that the Higher Education agreement that the university
signs with Apple contains a clause that prohibits this as well, so
posting could possibly violate your agreement.  (Not that I think Apple
would sue you :-)

-Michael

--

FTWILSON@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Frederick Todd Wilson) (04/07/89)

In article <22726@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:

>Why are the prices confidential? I get a price list just by
>calling our campus distributor. Nobody says either verbally
>or in writing on the price list that it is confidential.
>Unless I'm missing something, I don't see why I couldn't
>post such prices once I get the new list.
>
>Steve Goldfield

I have to agree with Michael, ALMOST. It is true that Apple HEPP price lists
ARE confidential (for whatever reason Apple chooses). These price lists,
which are provided to your distributor (reseller) by Apple directly, ARE
clearly marked 'confidential'.

It is likely that the list that you get is one that has been copied and
modified from Apple's list to reflect reseller mark-up, etc. While I do not
know for sure, (and here I speak for myself) it would seem to me that the
modified price list is not confidential.

I do not know what the "rules" are for posting prices (even modified ones)
on the Net. I will inquire with my Acct. Exec. tomorrow and will send you
(or post) the response.

     -Todd.
Apple Computer Student Rep, Princeton University

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (04/07/89)

In article <6596@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>In article <22726@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
>> Why are the prices confidential? I get a price list just by
>> calling our campus distributor. Nobody says either verbally
>> or in writing on the price list that it is confidential.
>> Unless I'm missing something, I don't see why I couldn't
>> post such prices once I get the new list.
>>

>You are free to distribute this on your own campus.  However, in public
>this is a no-no.  Just look at the top of the price list where it says
>"Confidential Price List."  If yours doesn't say this, then it is not
>an official Apple price list; many campuses produce their own to spruce
>things up a bit.
>
>Also, I believe that the Higher Education agreement that the university
>signs with Apple contains a clause that prohibits this as well, so
>posting could possibly violate your agreement.  (Not that I think Apple
>would sue you :-)

If you are speaking of the reseller's price, there is NO confidentiality
involved ... no more than that of a retail dealer.  Almost all of the
AUC schools know what the others sell at as do the faculty and students.
There have been times in the past where one could find discounted retail
pricing LOWER than consortium resale prices.

There should be no problem posting a reseller's list (with their permission),
however, it won't do anyone any good since the reseller has a restricted
distribution...

As for the Apple price list to the reseller, that IS confidential...

Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (04/08/89)

In article <7816@pucc.Princeton.EDU>, FTWILSON@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Frederick Todd Wilson) writes:
> In article <22726@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
>
> >Why are the prices confidential? I get a price list just by
> >calling our campus distributor. Nobody says either verbally
> >or in writing on the price list that it is confidential.
> >Unless I'm missing something, I don't see why I couldn't
> >post such prices once I get the new list.
> >
> >Steve Goldfield
>
> I have to agree with Michael, ALMOST. It is true that Apple HEPP price lists
> ARE confidential (for whatever reason Apple chooses). These price lists,
> which are provided to your distributor (reseller) by Apple directly, ARE
> clearly marked 'confidential'...
>
>      -Todd.
> Apple Computer Student Rep, Princeton University

Another one!  These student reps are really multiplying around here.  Anyway,
in my Account Executive's opinion, I should not post or quote prices from
any of the university's pricing sheets.  However, it is possible that other
UAE (University Account Executives -- sales reps if that is too much to
remember) may have a different interpretation.

Sorry that I said that the University prices could not be distributed.  In
my case, -I- cannot post them because, well, my boss says so.  And I always
listen to my boss...

So if someone's UAE approves the posting, go ahead and post.  But I won't;
I value my job...

-Michael

--

In article <28547@apple.Apple.COM>, mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes:

> As for the Apple price list to the reseller, that IS confidential...
>
> Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
> Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
> Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

Well, the only price list that is used here is the price list to the
reseller.  The reseller here at Ball State just copies the price list that
Apple sends him without modifications -- they do not tack on any additional
fees, since they have a good university budget (for consulting) to work on
(and they are not allowed to make a profit) -- and distributes that among
the various people at the university.

So, there is no way I can post my information.

-Michael

--

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (04/09/89)

In article <6626@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>Well, the only price list that is used here is the price list to the
>reseller.  The reseller here at Ball State just copies the price list that
>Apple sends him without modifications -- they do not tack on any additional
>fees, since they have a good university budget (for consulting) to work on
>(and they are not allowed to make a profit) -- and distributes that among
>the various people at the university.

Wow!  I wish someone would have a little chat with Cornell, Inc.  Our
campus AUC reseller (Micros and Office Systems, MOS for short -- yes,
it's pronounced like 'moss' ;-) does have a markup.  Not a big one,
from what I understand, but they are REQUIRED to make a profit, rather
than, as at Ball State, apparently, being PROHIBITED from making a
profit.  That's typical of Cornell, unfortunately.

--
Mark H. Anbinder                                ** MHA@TCGould.tn.cornell.edu
NG33 MVR Hall, Media Services Dept.             ** THCY@CRNLVAX5.BITNET

xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (James Osborne) (04/10/89)

I work for the Personal Computing Center of Dartmouth.  We are the "campus
store."  We do mark up the prices a slight bit (about 10%), but the profit
from that goes right back into the budget for support, as well as other
things that help the end user.  Also, because we have special programs like
freshman distribution (where all freshman pick up the computers (read)
Macintoshes they purchase from us), we can pass on great savings to the
students and faculty.

The bottom line is that even though we charge about cost + 10, the customers
get better deals than is possible in the "real" world, plus support that
one usually does not find in retail business.

-Jamie Osborne
xerox@mac.dartmouth.edu