[comp.sys.mac] MacWrite II contains a hypercard engine!

ralph@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Ralph Martin) (04/07/89)

While fiddling around with MacWrite II last night, I was amazed to see that
its help filw is of type STAK, despite the fact that MWII can use it
directly (you can also open it with hypercard). On poking further, I discovered
that MWII resources contain lots of references to HENG, which I presume is
Hypercard ENGine. MacWrite II contains a fair subset (playback only) of
hypercard.

Does this mean
(1) Claris were expecting everyone to be able to run MWII and Hypercard
simultaneously when they originally developed the help
(2) Parts of hypercard will REALLY become systems software for other a
applications to call on
(3) Add your own wild speculations here!

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (04/10/89)

In article <667@cf-cm.UUCP>, ralph@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Ralph Martin) writes:
>[discovery the MacWrite II's help file is a Hypercard Stack]
>[It also contains HENG (Hypercard Engine?) resources]
>
> Does this mean
> (1) Claris were expecting everyone to be able to run MWII and Hypercard
> simultaneously when they originally developed the help
> (2) Parts of hypercard will REALLY become systems software for other a
> applications to call on
> (3) Add your own wild speculations here!

	What is means is that Claris licensed Symmetry Corps's HyperEngine
which is a library that developers can purchase so that they can have access
to stacks in their applications.  It is the same technology use in Symmetry's
HyperDA and as such has the same limitations (no XCMD's, etc.)
	Whether HC will be come part of the system software is pretty clear,
I believe that a high-ranking Apple employee was quoted in a recent MacWeek
as saying that Hypercard/talk will play a MAJOR role in interApplication
communication on the Mac and as such will bcecome part of the O.S.

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

gersh@aplvax.jhuapl.edu (John R. Gersh) (04/10/89)

In article <667@cf-cm.UUCP> ralph@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Ralph Martin) writes:
>While fiddling around with MacWrite II last night, I was amazed to see that
>its help filw is of type STAK, despite the fact that MWII can use it
>directly (you can also open it with hypercard). On poking further, I discovered
>that MWII resources contain lots of references to HENG, which I presume is
>Hypercard ENGine. MacWrite II contains a fair subset (playback only) of
>hypercard.

MacDraw II v1.1 has the same feature; help is implemented through an
internal Hypercard engine. Some interesting aspects of this
implementation:

- HyperTalk resides in a set of STR# resources containing the
necessary commands, etc.

- If you open the Claris help files in HyperCard, you notice that the
internal engine clips the area of the cards a bit; the portion not
shown contains a card number in the stack.

						- John Gersh

gersh@aplvax.jhuapl.edu 	{backbone!}mimsy!aplcen!aplvax!gersh
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
Johns Hopkins Rd., Laurel, MD 20707		       (301) 953-5503