[comp.sys.mac] Virtual, how many megs?

ollef@osiris.sics.se (Olle Furberg) (04/05/89)

    Hi!

 How many Mb (maximum) do I get with the Virtual-init on a MacIIx/SE30 ?
Someone told me that I can't get more than 8 Meg. Suppose I have 8 Meg
HardWare memory, is Virtual of any use?
 If it is a limit for Virtual, is this a general limit for the 030-MMU?

             /Olle

mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (04/05/89)

In article <2615@osiris.sics.se>, ollef@osiris.sics.se (Olle Furberg) writes:
>  How many Mb (maximum) do I get with the Virtual-init on a MacIIx/SE30 ?
> Someone told me that I can't get more than 8 Meg. Suppose I have 8 Meg
> HardWare memory, is Virtual of any use?
>  If it is a limit for Virtual, is this a general limit for the 030-MMU?

This has been discussed before:  Currently, the Mac operating system
limits you to only (and I choke on only) 8MB of memory.  In the future,
I would expect to see a rewrite of the OS to allow for up to 32MB, but
right now it is not feasible.  So, in general 8MB is the limit, period,
for any of the 020 or 030 machines.  (I believe that the reason for the
8MB limit is that the ROM routines are mapped beginning right after this
8MB ceiling.)

Unless of course you use A/UX.  I don't believe that it has this restriction,
allowing up to 32MB of real memory.  I remember someone recently posting a
message saying that they were using 4MB SIMMs (a set of 4 of these) giving
them 16 MB, all of which was usable by A/UX, but the Mac II he was using
just ignored the upper 8MB.  Note that this didn't produce any problems.

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (04/05/89)

In article <2615@osiris.sics.se> ollef@sics.se writes:

>    Hi!
>
> How many Mb (maximum) do I get with the Virtual-init on a MacIIx/SE30 ?
>Someone told me that I can't get more than 8 Meg. Suppose I have 8 Meg
>HardWare memory, is Virtual of any use?
> If it is a limit for Virtual, is this a general limit for the 030-MMU?
>
>             /Olle

If you already have 8 Megs, then, at the moment, Virtual is useless for you.
This is not a limitation of Virtual, but rather of the current Mac OS which
can only address 8 Megs.  (My go, did I just say "only 8 Megs", my first
machine had 16k).  Anyway, when (and if) Apple releases a full 32 bit OS,
then Connectix claims they will write a version that will give you as much
virtual memory as you want (up to, what is it, 4 Gigs?).

Josh

-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-5423   (school office)

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (04/05/89)

There is an 8 meg limit on Virtual, but not because of hardware or Virtual.

The current version of the Mac OS (6.0.3) can't deal with more than 8
megs...  A/UX can, but (I believe) it has virtual memory in it (have to,
I guess).

Support for >8megs should be in 7.0... and possibly an INIT or other piece
of software that does what Virtual does in an Apple-sanctioned way.

In short: there is no use for Virtual if you already have 8 megs.

b.bum
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (04/06/89)

In article <9586@netnews.upenn.edu> hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Josh Hodas) writes:
(stuff deleted)
> Anyway, when (and if) Apple releases a full 32 bit OS,
>then Connectix claims they will write a version that will give you as much
>virtual memory as you want (up to, what is it, 4 Gigs?).

Of course, when Apple releases an OS that uses paged memory and can
address as much memory as the CPU will allow, I think that virtual
memory will be an intrinsic part of that System (as well as, eventually,
interprocess communication and all the other bells, whistles, and
buzzwords that avid readers of MacWeek have been saturated with these
past several months).  At that point, Connectix must come up with
a better mousetrap.

One man's opinion...

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarnet            |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709                                         |  |
(415) 549-2684                                              |  |

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (04/06/89)

In article <6514@bsu-cs.UUCP> mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
<In article <2615@osiris.sics.se>, ollef@osiris.sics.se (Olle Furberg) writes:
<>  How many Mb (maximum) do I get with the Virtual-init on a MacIIx/SE30 ?
<> Someone told me that I can't get more than 8 Meg. Suppose I have 8 Meg
<> HardWare memory, is Virtual of any use?
<>  If it is a limit for Virtual, is this a general limit for the 030-MMU?

<This has been discussed before:  Currently, the Mac operating system
<limits you to only (and I choke on only) 8MB of memory.

I thought the question was about the Virtual init. I presumed that Olle
was either using A/UX or looking ahead to the future when the 8Mbyte
limit didn't exist.

I suspect the answer is that Virtual might not access more than 8 Mbytes
today, but that there is no reason for any limit as soon as it is usable
by the Mac. They already did a second version of the init for 030 machines
so they seem committed to keeping up. As to A/UX support, I suspect you'd
have to ask them.

Shirley Kehr

FTWILSON@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Frederick Todd Wilson) (04/07/89)

In article <22668@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) writes:

>In article <9586@netnews.upenn.edu> hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Josh Hodas) writes:
>Of course, when Apple releases an OS that uses paged memory and can
>address as much memory as the CPU will allow, I think that virtual
>memory will be an intrinsic part of that System (as well as, eventually,
>interprocess communication and all the other bells, whistles, and
>buzzwords that avid readers of MacWeek have been saturated with these
>past several months).  At that point, Connectix must come up with
>a better mousetrap.
>
>One man's opinion...
>
>John Heckendorn

I read somewhere (MacWeek, I think) a comment made by someone at Connectix
to the effect that they had patented (or whatever) the Init and that, as
far as they knew, their method was the only way to do virtual memory for
the Mac OS. In other words, more legal squabling. But it sounds a little
fishy... Anyone with any ideas on this?

                   -Todd

Disclaimer: My opinions are my own, and do not represent those of
Princeton University or Apple Computer, Inc.

ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) (04/08/89)

In article <2615@osiris.sics.se> ollef@sics.se writes:
> How many Mb (maximum) do I get with the Virtual-init on a MacIIx/SE30 ?
>Someone told me that I can't get more than 8 Meg. Suppose I have 8 Meg
>HardWare memory, is Virtual of any use?
> If it is a limit for Virtual, is this a general limit for the 030-MMU?

This limit of 8 megs is not a Virtual Limit it is the limit of the
current Macintosh OS. Once System Software allows for more than 8 megs
then Virtual will be able to go as high as you have disk space for. As
the 68020 and up can address much more memory than the Mac OS allows.

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-Sysop FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (04/09/89)

In article <90725@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:
>In article <6514@bsu-cs.UUCP> mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
><In article <2615@osiris.sics.se>, ollef@osiris.sics.se (Olle Furberg) writes:
><>  How many Mb (maximum) do I get with the Virtual-init on a MacIIx/SE30 ?
><> Someone told me that I can't get more than 8 Meg. Suppose I have 8 Meg
><> HardWare memory, is Virtual of any use?
><>  If it is a limit for Virtual, is this a general limit for the 030-MMU?
>
><This has been discussed before:  Currently, the Mac operating system
><limits you to only (and I choke on only) 8MB of memory.
>
>I thought the question was about the Virtual init. I presumed that Olle
>was either using A/UX or looking ahead to the future when the 8Mbyte
>limit didn't exist.
>
>I suspect the answer is that Virtual might not access more than 8 Mbytes
>today, but that there is no reason for any limit as soon as it is usable
>by the Mac. They already did a second version of the init for 030 machines
>so they seem committed to keeping up. As to A/UX support, I suspect you'd
>have to ask them.

Actually, Virtual does not work with A/UX, which uses its own virtual
memory scheme.  Both Michael and Shirley are correct that the limit of
8 megabytes RAM is a limit within the operating system, and NOT with
the Virtual software from Connectix.  So, the answer to Olle's question
is that Virtual is utterly useless to him, RIGHT NOW, if he already has
8 megabytes of physical memory.  All he'd be doing is making a perfect
copy of physical memory on his hard drive.  That brings up a couple of
potentially interesting possibilities for crash-recovery, but I won't
get into that now. :-)

Connectix is indeed dedicated to continuously updating Virtual to take
advantage of all improvements to the Mac, in both hardware and software.
Virtual currently runs on all 68020 and '030 machines, i.e. Mac II, IIx,
IIcx, and SE/30.  As soon as the Macintosh operating system supports
the use of more than 8 megs, it's quite likely that Connectix will be
there with a version of Virtual that can give you as much memory as you're
willing to give it disk space. :-)  Good thing magnetic SCSI storage is
cheaper than DRAM! :-)

Calling Connectix is definitely a good idea if you want more information
about what's likely to be available when.  Their number is 415-324-0727
(Pacific Daylight Time).  Unfortunately, Connectix is not yet on the net.

Disclaimer: I am not involved with Connectix except as an EXTREMELY happy
customer.  I keep in touch with them, so if you have any questions, feel
free to ask me.  If I don't know, I'll find out.

--
Mark H. Anbinder                                ** MHA@TCGould.tn.cornell.edu
NG33 MVR Hall, Media Services Dept.             ** THCY@CRNLVAX5.BITNET

sidlives@athena.mit.edu (Sid Vicious) (04/10/89)

In article <33256@athena.mit.edu>, FTWILSON@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:

>I read somewhere (MacWeek, I think) a comment made by someone at Connectix
>to the effect that they had patented (or whatever) the Init and that, as
>far as they knew, their method was the only way to do virtual memory for
>the Mac OS. In other words, more legal squabling. But it sounds a little
>fishy... Anyone with any ideas on this?

     I mentioned this to a friend of mine who is knowledgable about
things like this.  He said that if Connectix uses the PMMU (which they
do) that they would be unable to patent their idea.  You might think
of it as creating the toolbox.  If you can create the toolbox routines
with no knowledge of them except for a set of specs, then they should be
legal.  Also, it would seem stupid that the idea of virtual memory
would be patentable.

			- Sid Viscious

Disclaimer: What you hear is what you want to.

jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) (04/11/89)

In article <10464@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> sidlives@athena.mit.edu (Sid Vicious) writes:
>   ...  Also, it would seem stupid that the idea of virtual memory
>would be patentable.

Just because something is so important and useful that everyone should have
it doesn't mean it can't be patented.  In fact, this is exactly the type of
item patent laws are meant to protect.  What they don't protect is techniques
or products that perform a function that would be "obvious to one skilled in
the art" (to paraphrase).

I believe the patent on the use of CRT displays for displaying characters
generated by raster scanning techniques is still in force.

--
v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 201-1D Hampton Lee Court
 v v s   s || jnh@ece-csc.ncsu.edu (Internet)  || Cary, NC  27511

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (04/11/89)

In article <10464@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, sidlives@athena.mit.edu (Sid Vicious) writes...

>     I mentioned this to a friend of mine who is knowledgable about
>things like this.  He said that if Connectix uses the PMMU (which they
>do) that they would be unable to patent their idea.  You might think
>of it as creating the toolbox.  If you can create the toolbox routines
>with no knowledge of them except for a set of specs, then they should be
>legal.  Also, it would seem stupid that the idea of virtual memory
>would be patentable.

I also mentioned this to a friend of mine who is knowledgeable in such things
(and knows folks at Apple)  and he said that he's heard that Apple's been
working on this kind of stuff (VM, etc.) for _quite_ awhile, and in fact
supposedly had running prototypes a while ago; all they'd have to do is show
this prior work to be able to use it.

Robert
------
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
------
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine