[comp.sys.mac] problems with SE/30

engber@shorty.CS.WISC.EDU (Mike Engber) (04/10/89)

A friend of mine got a new SE/30 and I was trying out various games
and sound files. Most of the games would run, but often when you quit,
a message to the effect the finder was damaged would appear and you'd
have to re-boot.  Somtimes when you quit or re-boot, the HD would show
no icons, or the menues would stop working. Turning off the power and
re-booting would restore things to normal. Similar problems showed up
after using SuperPlay to play sounds.

The whole thing reminded me a lot of the early days on the Mac when system
bombs were a normal part of everyday life. Now I'm spoiled and I don't expect
them to happen very often.

I know that games are notorius for breaking all kinds of rules, but I
wrote one of the ones we tried and I know I don't do anything unusual
(just plain old quick draw). These problems were caused by a wide variety
of games, even Lode Runner which has been compatible with every system
up to this point. Also, McSink 6.5 bombed when selected.

-has anyone had similar problems?
-does anyone know what's causing this?
-what % of applications don't work on the SE/30?
-is it possible that any serious damage is being done to the system/file system?

please respond by email (and I'll post a summary)

-ME

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (04/11/89)

In article <7399@spool.cs.wisc.edu> engber@shorty.cs.wisc.edu (Mike Engber) writes:
 [story of problems with games on SE/30 deleted]

<The whole thing reminded me a lot of the early days on the Mac when system
<bombs were a normal part of everyday life. Now I'm spoiled and I don't expect
<them to happen very often.

Reminds me of trying to use all that shareware I bought from BudgetBytes.

>-has anyone had similar problems?  NO
>-what % of applications don't work on the SE/30?

If it runs on the Mac II at work, it runs on the SE/30. The games I've
tried are Tetris, GunShy, Klondike, and Golf Solitaire.

Applications are Word, Canvas, MacDraw II, SuperPaint 2.0, Macintax, and
probably some I've forgotten.

I bought the SE/30 primarily for stability. I was tired of all the flaky
problems with 3rd party upgrades to the 512, and I wanted a big monitor.

>please respond by email (and I'll post a summary)

Sorry, the net is the only way I have of getting a message out. Mail just
doesn't work.

Shirley Kehr