[comp.sys.mac] Need help - problem with PL30 hard drive

jamesm@sco.COM (James M. Moore) (04/08/89)

Strange problem:  when I power up my Mac plus, I've got to first turn
on the Peripheral Land 30 hard drive and wait about ten seconds until
I hear a chuga-chuga-chuga sound.  At that point I can turn on the Mac
plus itself, and boot normally.  If I don't wait, and turn both on at
the same time, the mac will fail to boot off the hard drive (just get
a black grey screen).  This is absolutely consistent and always
repeatable.  Any ideas?  I'm running finder 6.1 and system 6.0.2, and
it's happened with all the other systems I've had on here.  Anyone
have any idea why, and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks,

--
** James Moore **
** Internet:  jamesm@sco.com **

gmw1@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Gabe M Wiener) (04/09/89)

In article <2312@viscous.sco.COM> jamesm@sco.COM (James M. Moore) writes:
>Strange problem:  when I power up my Mac plus, I've got to first turn
>on the Peripheral Land 30 hard drive and wait about ten seconds until
>I hear a chuga-chuga-chuga sound.  At that point I can turn on the Mac
>plus itself, and boot normally.  If I don't wait, and turn both on at
>the same time, the mac will fail to boot off the hard drive (just get
>a black grey screen).  This is absolutely consistent and always
>repeatable.  Any ideas?  I'm running finder 6.1 and system 6.0.2, and
>it's happened with all the other systems I've had on here.  Anyone
>have any idea why, and what I can do to fix it?

Sounds OK to me.  A hard drive mechanism needs a few seconds to accelerate
to speed, unlock the heads, and do various other "housekeeping" tasks before
it puts itself online.  If you switch the mac and the drive on at the same
time, the mac will look for the hard drive too quickly, and thus it will
appear that there is no drive present, and so the mac won't mount the drive.

By turning the hard drive on first, you let it come online, and then the mac
can mount it.

It's very similar to the way the mac won't recognize a LaserWriter until the
rollers are hot enough.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-\******/=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Gabe Wiener -- Columbia University   \****/ "It doesn't matter how sincere it
				      \**/   is, nor how heart-felt the spirit.
INTERNET: gmw1@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu  \/    Sentiment will not endear it.
BITNET:   gmw1@cunixc                  /\    What's important is the price."
COMPUSERVE: 72355,1226                /**\   		- Tom Lehrer
WUI: 650-117-9118                    /****\                  on gift giving
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-/******\=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (04/10/89)

In article <2312@viscous.sco.COM> jamesm@sco.COM (James M. Moore) writes:
>Strange problem:  when I power up my Mac plus, I've got to first turn
>on the Peripheral Land 30 hard drive and wait about ten seconds until
>I hear a chuga-chuga-chuga sound.  At that point I can turn on the Mac
>plus itself, and boot normally.  If I don't wait, and turn both on at
>the same time, the mac will fail to boot off the hard drive (just get
>a black grey screen).  This is absolutely consistent and always
>repeatable.  Any ideas?  I'm running finder 6.1 and system 6.0.2, and
>it's happened with all the other systems I've had on here.  Anyone
>have any idea why, and what I can do to fix it?
>
>Thanks,
>** James Moore **

You probably have one of the older Mac Plusses
around with the early ROM revisions.  I think it
was the "Lonely Hearts" revision that had this
problem.  The only way to fix it is with a ROM
upgrade.  Which will cost you.

ROMs of this revision would not allow the Plus
to boot with a hard disk that had not sufficiently
"warmed up" first.  Hope that helps...

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
INTERNET: lauac%qal.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

Michael_H_Naber@cup.portal.com (04/10/89)

James Moore asks:

> Strange problem:  when I power up my Mac plus, I've got to first turn
> on the Peripheral Land 30 hard drive and wait about ten seconds until
> I hear a chuga-chuga-chuga sound.  At that point I can turn on the Mac
> plus itself, and boot normally.  If I don't wait, and turn both on at
> the same time, the mac will fail to boot off the hard drive (just get
> a black grey screen).  This is absolutely consistent and always
> repeatable.  Any ideas?  I'm running finder 6.1 and system 6.0.2, and
> it's happened with all the other systems I've had on here.  Anyone
> have any idea why, and what I can do to fix it?

The problem here is not the PL30 drive, but the fact that James hasn't got
the latest ROMs in his Mac Plus.  These are available through your local
Apple dealer and the upgrade should be FREE (mine was).  I know this
works, as I have the same configuration.  Prior to the upgrade, the symptoms
on my system were exactly the same.  After, it no longer matters which is
turned on first.

Michael Naber

jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) (04/11/89)

James:

There's nothing wrong.  I believe in the manual it warns that you MUST wait
10 seconds after turning on the PL30 drive BEFORE you turn on the computer.
I've owned my Peripheral Land PL30Mb for almost 2 years (with my MAC SE) and
always followed this instruction, and I've NEVER had a problem.

So don't worry, you don't have a problem, you just have to wait 10 seconds.

						Jim Collymore