[comp.sys.mac] Smalltalk-80, any recommendations?

hod@unigs.CH (Hodgkinson Alan) (04/07/89)

I am interested in programming in Smalltalk-80 on the Mac.
Can anyone reccommend a good Smalltalk system or warn me away
from a bad one?

Many thanks in advance.

	Alan Hodgkinson
	hod@unigs.uucp    or    ..mcvax!cernvax!unizh!unigs!hod

dg@okra.sybase.com (David Gould) (04/10/89)

In article <125@unigs.CH> hod@unigs.CH (Hodgkinson Alan) writes:

>I am interested in programming in Smalltalk-80 on the Mac.
>Can anyone reccommend a good Smalltalk system or warn me away
>from a bad one?
>
>Many thanks in advance.
>
>	Alan Hodgkinson
>	hod@unigs.uucp    or    ..mcvax!cernvax!unizh!unigs!hod

I am using Digitalk Smalltalk/V Mac, and I am very pleased with it.  While it
is not fully compatable with other smalltalks because of differences in the
supplied Classes, it is real smalltalk and a real Mac application.  In addition
it is very fast and reliable (I understand the apple smalltalk is a bit slow),
and very cheap ( < $200 ) compared to ParcPlace smalltalk.
I am not affiliated with Digitalk, except as a very satisfied user.
					dg

 David Gould                           Sybase, Incorporated      (415) 596-3414
 sybase!dg@sun.com                     6475 Christie Ave.  Emeryville, CA 94608
 {sun,lll-tis,pyramid,pacbell}!sybase!dg

mnkonar@gorby.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Murat N. Konar) (04/10/89)

In article <125@unigs.CH> hod@unigs.CH (Hodgkinson Alan) writes:

>I am interested in programming in Smalltalk-80 on the Mac.
>Can anyone reccommend a good Smalltalk system or warn me away
>from a bad one?
>
>Many thanks in advance.
>
>	Alan Hodgkinson
>	hod@unigs.uucp    or    ..mcvax!cernvax!unizh!unigs!hod

There are three I know of but know little about:
1) Apple has a version (unsupported) for around $75 from APDA
2) Digitalk has a version that conforms closely to the Mac user-
   interface standard, $200. It is code compatible with their Smalltalk
   for MS-DOS (puke), though I'm not sure it's 100% standard Smalltalk.
3) Parc Place Systems has a version $995 (!) that should be com-
   pletely standard as Parc Place Systems was started by Xerox PARC
   Alumnus including Adele Goldberg, former manager of the Learning
   Research Group at Xerox where Smalltalk was developed.

Other than that, I don't know much about these.  Check out back issues
of Byte for reviews of the Digitalk and ParcPlace Smalltalks.

.
Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar        Honeywell Systems & Research Center, Camden, MN
mnkonar@SRC.honeywell.com (internet) {umn-cs,ems,bthpyd}!srcsip!mnkonar(UUCP)

fischer@iesd.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (04/10/89)

In article <20221@srcsip.UUCP> mnkonar@gorby.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Murat N. Konar) writes:
>There are three I know of but know little about:
>..
>2) Digitalk has a version that conforms closely to the Mac user-
>   interface standard, $200. It is code compatible with their Smalltalk
>   for MS-DOS (puke), though I'm not sure it's 100% standard Smalltalk.
>3) Parc Place Systems has a version $995 (!) that should be com-
>   pletely standard as Parc Place Systems was started by Xerox PARC
>   Alumnus including Adele Goldberg, former manager of the Learning
>   Research Group at Xerox where Smalltalk was developed.

The ParcPlace version is the *real thing*, straight from Xerox,
compatible with various books on Smalltalk, down to the structure of
the class hierarchy. Also, it is available for a number of machines,
including Mac, Sun 3, Sun 4, Sun 386i, Atari MegaST, 386 PC's (yuck)
and others. The fact that you can use the same system, with the same
code, user interface, etc, on all these machines could be important.

The price is a bit steep. There's a special University Price, though :-).

/Lars

Disclaimer: I have no relation to ParcPlace, other than as a costumer.
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.dk, {...}!mcvax!iesd!fischer
			-- Arthur C. Clarke

jans@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) (04/12/89)

<The ParcPlace version is the *real thing*, straight from Xerox, compatible
with various books on Smalltalk, down to the structure of the class hierarchy.>

Don't count on it.  Since they own it, they feel free to change the spec.  Tek
Smalltalk is actually more compatible with the Blue Book than PPS 2.4.

But of course, PPS is closer to the Blue Book than Smalltalk/V, which had to
create the environment from scratch because PPS refuses to cooperate in
standards movements.

Sigh.  Sour grapes.  I'll get off my soap box now.  Smalltalk will never get
off the ground until there is a Gnu version of it.  (Listening, RKS?)

:::::: Jan Steinman - N7JDB		   Electronic Systems Laboratory ::::::
:::::: jans@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM	      Box 500, MS 50-370 (w)503/627-5881 ::::::
:::::: jsteinma@caip.RUTGERS.EDU     Beaverton, OR 97077 (h)503/657-7703 ::::::