[comp.sys.mac] SCSI Startup probs

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (04/12/89)

In article <16980@cup.portal.com> Michael_H_Naber@cup.portal.com writes:
>James Moore asks:
>> Strange problem:  when I power up my Mac plus, I've got to first turn
>> on the Peripheral Land 30 hard drive and wait about ten seconds until
>> I hear a chuga-chuga-chuga sound.
>The problem here is not the PL30 drive, but the fact that James hasn't got
>the latest ROMs in his Mac Plus.  These are available through your local
>Apple dealer and the upgrade should be FREE (mine was).  I know this
>works, as I have the same configuration.  Prior to the upgrade, the symptoms
>on my system were exactly the same.  After, it no longer matters which is
>turned on first.

I think it depends on the disk driving software as well. I have a Platinum
Mac+ with the Loud Harmonica (1.3) ROMs, and a miniQisk 20. I need to power
them on roughly at the the same time. If the Mac gets to the "?" stage, it
will wait for the disk to become ready. However, if the Mac gets to the
"?" stage and *then* I switch on the disk, the disk doesn't get to wipe its
nose and do the usual things at power-up - the LED access light locks on.
So, I can have the Mac and the disk firing up roughly in parallel, but
can't power up the disk if the Mac is waiting.
   As an aside, the miniQisk driver seems to enable the disk for eject! The
hard disk can actually be ejected from the finder or a SFDialog - the icons
go grey for a few seconds, the disk wipes its nose, and then it comes back.
My guess is that this so that the heads park automatically when I Shutdown.
Confuses the hell out of ResEdit, though (as do a lot of things).

>Michael Naber

			Nick.
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!nick