[comp.sys.mac] MAC II problems

awd@dbase.UUCP (Alastair Dallas) (07/30/88)

I don't want this to be long and whiney, but I just got my first Mac II and
I'm having the occassional strange problem.  My monitor hasn't come yet, so
I'm borrowing different monitors daily.  When I was using a 13" Sony color,
I noticed that sometimes the apple in the upper left would be color and b&w
other times--but I was always set for 256 color.  It would be a rainbow,
I'd load an application and come back to find it black.  It's a borrowed,
well-used video card, too, I should mention.

Now that I'm using the same video card with a used Apple monochrome monitor,
I'm finding that some programs (such as Crystal Quest) hang coming back to
the Finder.  The screen just blanks out and I have to push the reset button.

To me it's just one more illustration of my theory that new computers have
to be 'taught' how to behave.  Almost every new computer I've gotten or
built (ah, the good old days) "acted up" initially.  Eventually, something
would happen to convince it to behave nicely and from then on no problems
until old age.  My extra 1MB in my Mac Plus started acting up, so I drove
fifty miles to the place that installed it.  Naturally, at the doctor's
office it was on its best behavior.  I haven't had any problems since.

So I'm not alarmed at the Mac II's behavior, I'm just posting this in case
there is some known solution that I haven't heard.  Or this sounds like
some known lemon behavior so I can return this thing quick.  :-)

/alastair/

arti@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Arti Nigam) (08/03/88)

Speaking of wierd crashes, we have a MacII that caused us headaches
for a long time.  I never noticed a correlation with the color setting.
But it would crash, intermittently at first, and at seemingly random
points: while in an application, while on the desktop, when accessing
the hard disk, when just moving the mouse around, or when opening a file.
We had the motherboard changed, memory chips changed, various diagnostics
programs run with no findings, and we had it sit in the shop for a month or
two, all with no effect.  Then we noticed that, when the problem arose,
if we opened up the computer, took out the video board, generally fiddled
with it (maybe randomly press chips down, or other superstitious behavior),
and replaced it, the problem would go away for a few days.

So, as we have a second MacII, we used the scientific method, played
swaptronics, and convinced ourselves that the video board was at fault.
This was even though diagnostics programs showed it to be just fine.  The
video card was replaced a few days ago, and looks like no more problems.

But it certainly was a wierd-looking problem while it lasted.

Arti Nigam.

peterson@peterson.applicon.UUCP (08/10/88)

I have had similar problems with the apple chaning from color to black,
but the solution was very easy.  When I first picked up my mac, the
salesman & I installed the system.  We must have chosen one of the
special instalation scripts by mistake.  I then had the color/black
problem.  I decided to re-install the system following the instruction
to the letter for a full install.  That fixed it.

Joe Peterson

...!mit-eddie!applicon!peterson

bob@accuvax.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (01/25/89)

> I'm having a peculiar problem with my machine that someone has
> hopefully encountered before. After the machine has been running for a
> while, the hard disk suddenly switches off, then after a few seconds
> switches on again, repeating this cycle. The machine continues running
> as if nothing has happened until it notices that the hd is dead. I
> have just installed a 1 meg upgrade(256k simms) so now the machine has
> 2 megs, and the problem only started since I fitted the new simms, so
> I presume that there is a relationship. I have heard of this happening
> to another Mac II, but can't get hold of the person to whom this
> happened.
> Any advice anyone ?

Is the drive an internal one? It is possible that during the installation of
the SIMMs that you loosened the drive connection cables, as the drive sits
just above where the SIMMs are installed. There are two cables - a power
cable which consists of 4 wires, and a SCSI ribbon cable. If either of these
is loose at either end you could get the noted problems.

> Pramod.

> pramod@drizzle.cs.uoregon.edu

Bob Hablutzel	Wildwood Software	BOB@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU
Disclaimer:	All hardware problems can be solved with a brick and a
		warranty.

jwste@PacBell.COM (Jerry Steffler) (04/06/89)

A co-worker is experiencing a problem with her MAC II.  She powers the MAC up
in the morning and things run fine for about 1/2 hour when "blue dashes"
appear on the screen at random locations.  This happens in any application
she's using at the time.  Shortly after the blue dashes appear, the dreaded
bomb box/system restart message comes up.  Selecting restart doesn't help.  The
MAC is hung.  The MAC has been sent in for diagnostics twice now, the
first time the technicians not finding anything wrong.  Still awaiting the
status of the second visit.  Apparently, this phenomenon will occur sooner if
the MAC is warmed up.  Unfortunately, I can't tell you much about the
environment, other than getting  confirmation of connection to the Appletalk
network during start-up, and having a PCOX 3270 emulation software/hardware.
If the MAC was here, I could have determined the OS revision, etc...

Any answers to the cause of this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

carlton@betelgeuse (Mike Carlton) (04/06/89)

In article <25251@pbhya.PacBell.COM> jwste@PacBell.COM (Jerry Steffler) writes:
 >A co-worker is experiencing a problem with her MAC II.  She powers the MAC up
 >in the morning and things run fine for about 1/2 hour when "blue dashes"
 >appear on the screen at random locations.  This happens in any application
 >she's using at the time.  Shortly after the blue dashes appear, the dreaded
 >bomb box/system restart message comes up.  Selecting restart doesn't help.  The
 >MAC is hung.  The MAC has been sent in for diagnostics twice now, the
 >first time the technicians not finding anything wrong.  Still awaiting the
 >status of the second visit.  Apparently, this phenomenon will occur sooner if
 >the MAC is warmed up.  Unfortunately, I can't tell you much about the

I've had the "blue dashes" problem hit me twice now.  The problem was caused
by video memory chips working loose from the video card.  I simply pushed them
back in to make sure they were seated properly and the problem went away.

You need to be careful about static electricity when doing this, the chips are
CMOS and can be damaged by small amounts of static electricity.  You need to
ground yourself carefully.  If you're not comfortable with this, have someone
else do it for you.

Cheers,
--
Mike Carlton, UC Berkeley Computer Science	  | More bits,
carlton@ji.berkeley.edu    ...!ucbvax!ji!carlton  | Give me more bits.

goldfarb@hcx9.UCF.EDU (04/12/89)

/* Written 11:27 pm  Apr  5, 1989 by carlton@betelgeuse.UUCP in hcx9:comp.sys.mac */
In article <25251@pbhya.PacBell.COM> jwste@PacBell.COM (Jerry Steffler) writes:
 >A co-worker is experiencing a problem with her MAC II.  She powers the MAC up
 >in the morning and things run fine for about 1/2 hour when "blue dashes"
 >appear on the screen at random locations.  This happens in any application
 >she's using at the time.  Shortly after the blue dashes appear, the dreaded
 >bomb box/system restart message comes up.  Selecting restart doesn't help.  The
 >MAC is hung.  The MAC has been sent in for diagnostics twice now, the
 >first time the technicians not finding anything wrong.  Still awaiting the
 >status of the second visit.  Apparently, this phenomenon will occur sooner if
 >the MAC is warmed up.  Unfortunately, I can't tell you much about the

I've had the "blue dashes" problem hit me twice now.  The problem was caused
by video memory chips working loose from the video card.  I simply pushed them
back in to make sure they were seated properly and the problem went away.

You need to be careful about static electricity when doing this, the chips are
CMOS and can be damaged by small amounts of static electricity.  You need to
ground yourself carefully.  If you're not comfortable with this, have someone
else do it for you.

Cheers,
--
Mike Carlton, UC Berkeley Computer Science	  | More bits,
carlton@ji.berkeley.edu    ...!ucbvax!ji!carlton  | Give me more bits.
/* End of text from hcx9:comp.sys.mac */