[comp.sys.mac] Why a Mac rather than an IBM?

jtw@wuee1.wustl.edu (Trent Wohlschlaeger) (04/11/89)

OK, so I wasn't paying attention the first 7 times this went around.

My uncle has finally decided to join the computer generation, but for
some reason he keeps mumbling something like "'386, 30MHz, how big of
a disk drive do I need, what the heck is VGA and EGA, do I need one of
each?"

I keep telling him that if (since) he doesn't have a large installed
base of MesS-DOS software, he would be much better off getting a
Mac-anything.  And maybe even if he does.  The learning curve is MUCH
shorter on the Mac, it is easier and less intimidating for "computer-
illiterates" to use, etc.

He says, "But there are thousands more business software packages
out for the IBM's."  To which I reply that all he really needs is one
good, easy to use program, and his odds of finding that program are
higher with a Mac system.

Not to mention that I can develop unique software for him!  :^)

He doesn't seem convinced yet.

1) Anyone else out there have further justifications, or should I let
him drop $7k or so and then just say, "I told you so!"  :^)

Alternatively, I (think I) know that there are products 'out there'
that will let one run IBM software on a Mac, but I doubt very seriously
that there are products to run Mac software on on IBM.

Unfortunately, I can't find any of the documentation I know must exist.

2) Any pointers to such products, so he can have the best of both worlds?

E-mail, or post, as you would like.  Follow-ups to comp.sys.mac.
I will summarize if there is sufficient interest.

Advthanksance,

Trent
Disclaimer:  Even I don't believe most of what I say.

austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) (04/13/89)

In article <198@wuee1.wustl.edu> jtw@wuee1.UUCP (Trent Wohlschlaeger) writes:
>Alternatively, I (think I) know that there are products 'out there'
>that will let one run IBM software on a Mac, but I doubt very seriously
>that there are products to run Mac software on on IBM.

There is a program called SoftPC that allows you to run programs for the
IBM PC on any Mac with a 68020 or better.

I worked in a department that felt that new IBMs were more important than
people, so they bought the IBMs and layed off 5 people to "pay for them."
6 months later, they were trying to pawn off the IBMs on anyone they could
so that they could get Macs.

Also, 3-5 of the "big eight" accounting firms ditched their PCs for Macs,
since they could get more done more easily on the Mac than they could for
their PCs.

Anyone who has had access to a Mac and used it for any length of time can
see the advantages of the Mac.  If you can get along without yours for a
couple of weeks, put it on your uncle's desk -- just be prepared to convince
him he needs to buy his own when he won't return your machine ;-).

| Glenn L. Austin             | The nice thing about standards is that      |
| Apple Computer, Inc.        | there are so many of them to choose from.   |
| Internet: austing@apple.com |       -Andrew S. Tanenbaum                  |
| All opinions stated above are mine -- who else would want them?           |