[comp.sys.mac] reminder init--virus?

boz@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (John Boswell) (04/12/89)

Hi.
	I just downloaded "Reminder" init from CI$.  This thingie is supposed
to work with Diskfit, in that it will verbally remind you when your next
hard drive backup is due, or how late you are in backing up.  My problem
is that after I istalled it and booted up, Gatekeeper tells me that it
has foiled an attempt by "Macintalk" to violate res(self) priveledges against
"Macintalk".  Subsequently, when I went to open  the cotrol panel, the mouse
froze.  This happened identically, three times in a row.  When I removed the
init, everything was fine.
	I have considered granting res(self) priveledges to MacIntalk, but
before I do, I want to ask if this is a kown problem, and whether or not
people recommend that I grant such privilges.
System:
MacPlus 2.5 Meg
Rodime 20 (startup)
Nova 30
System 6.0.2
Finder 6.1
etc.

				Thanks in advance,

 John Boswell 			  	 	boz@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
 Dept. of Chemistry		 		boz@dartCMS1.BITNET
 Dartmouth College, Hangover, Nude Hampster  03755

austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) (04/13/89)

In article <13012@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> boz@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (John Boswell) writes:
>. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   My problem
>is that after I istalled it and booted up, Gatekeeper tells me that it
>has foiled an attempt by "Macintalk" to violate res(self) priveledges against
>"Macintalk".

In the Gatekeeper documentation, it mentions (rather prominently, as I recall)
that *ANY* program that uses MacInTalk requires permissions to
change MacInTalk.  So yes, it is OK for MacInTalk to modify res(self).

| Glenn L. Austin             | The nice thing about standards is that      |
| Apple Computer, Inc.        | there are so many of them to choose from.   |
| Internet: austing@apple.com |       -Andrew S. Tanenbaum                  |
| All opinions stated above are mine -- who else would want them?           |

boz@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (John Boswell) (04/13/89)

I read the docs for gatekeeper over a month ago, installed the thing, and
forgot about it.  This was the first time it did anything that it notified
me about...Thanks for steering me back to the docs, though, and alleviating
my fears...

boz