[comp.sys.mac] Network-FAX for appletalk?

ollef@osiris.sics.se (Olle Furberg) (04/02/89)

I.e. is there a way to connect a fax so every user on the network could use it
through e.g. chooser?

        /Olle

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (04/03/89)

In article <2610@osiris.sics.se>, ollef@osiris.sics.se (Olle Furberg) writes:
> I.e. is there a way to connect a fax so every user on the network could use it
> through e.g. chooser?

	You could put a FAX modem (not a real FAX machine) on a network with
a device such as the Shiva NetSerial- HOWEVER because of the way a FAX is
transmitted or recieved doing so will BRING DOWN YOUR NETWORK during the time
that the FAX transmission is taking place.  Although putting a FAX Modem out
on a network sounds like a great idea, it does not work to well in practice.

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

sklein@cdp.UUCP (04/03/89)

Many serial devices, ie faxmodems, can be networked through the use
of the Shiva netserial.  This nifty little box is a stand-alone
Localtalk (aka appletalk) device with software to make it chooser-able
from any Mac on the network.  The software allows it to emulate either
the printer port or the modem port, and redirects calls to the serial
port to the netserial box.

 I've used it successfully with modems.
-Shabtai Klein

Minds, like           |    UUCP:      uunet!pyramid!cdp!sklein
parachutes,           |    Internet:  cdp!sklein@arisia.xerox.com
function only when    |    BitNet:    cdp!sklein%labrea@stanford
they are open         |    PhoneNet:  (301) 270-2250

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) (04/06/89)

One idea is Solutions' FaxGATE which uses the forthcoming version of
Microsoft Mail to allow users on a network to share a single fax modem
connected to a server.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see other fax modem network solutions
in the near future; the technology's begging for it.

<- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ->
Stephan Somogyi                           AppleLink: X1058
Software Engineer                         BIX: mulabs
MacUser                                   CIS: 72511,16
950 Tower Lane, 18th Floor                GEnie, MacNET: MULABS
Foster City, CA 94404                     FAX: (415) 378-5675

...sun!cup.portal.com!MacUserLabs or MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com

If fun is outlawed, only outlaws will have fun.

Any opinions expressed above are mine.

alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (04/13/89)

If you are really dying for this ability, then there is a current
solution:

a) ignore the NetSerial options. Because of the way the software has
to communicate with the AppleFax, networking it like this will bring
the whole down to a crawl to accomidate you. Shiva prodly states
that their NetSerial works with the AppleFax, but they refuse to admit
how slowly it works as a result.

b) Solutions's BackFAX will work in the background on an AppleShare
server. It takes some fiddleing and cajoling, but it can be done.
The way it works is that the user uses the BackFAX print driver to
make a print file of their document. They take the saved file and
copy it to the server, into a special folder. BackFAX has a magic
folder that their INIT looks in for files the driver creates (i think...)
The files that are dropped in then get sent out, with no loss of speed
for the network, and no lapse in functionality of the user's machine.

"works with Microsoft Mail" is what makes me worry about FAXGate. I
would worry too if I were you.

-  Alexander M. Rosenberg  - INTERNET: alibaba@ucscb.ucsc.edu   - Yoyodyne    -
-  Crown College, UCSC     - UUCP:...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!alibaba- Propulsion  -
-  Santa Cruz, CA 95064    - BITNET:alibaba%ucscb@ucscc.BITNET  - Systems     -
-  (408) 426-8869          - Disclaimer: Nobody is my employer  - :-)         -
-                          - so nobody cares what I say.        -             -