[comp.sys.mac] Smalltalk for the Mac

caw@munmurra.cs.mu.oz (Chris Wright) (04/10/89)

I tried mailing this reply to hod@unigs.CH but the mailer spat it out...
I have a copy of the Apple Smalltalk (V0.4), and the digitalk Smalltalk/V,
and the digitalk version wins hands down (IMHO). It is fast,
compatible with the (gag) IBM version, and runs on a 4MB SE
under multifinder using approx 1500K. The syntax is not pure Smalltalk80,
but the manual is excellent, and price sure beats the pants of the ParcPlace
version (a full ST80).
I have found the apple ST to be slow, and almost unusable on an SE. On a II
one must have the color or grey scale disabled (2 bits / pixel ?).
The digitalk version also comes with a Prolog implementation (Prolog/V)
and the combination of st and prolog raises some interesting possibilities.
More when I've had a longer play with smalltalk/V
(hopefully the mailer will work!)

chris wright

hastings@pine.Berkeley.EDU (Mark Hastings) (04/11/89)

In article <1363@murtoa.cs.mu.oz.au> caw@munmurra.cs.mu.oz (Chris Wright) writes:

>I tried mailing this reply to hod@unigs.CH but the mailer spat it out...
>I have a copy of the Apple Smalltalk (V0.4), and the digitalk Smalltalk/V,
>and the digitalk version wins hands down (IMHO). It is fast,
>compatible with the (gag) IBM version, and runs on a 4MB SE
>under multifinder using approx 1500K. The syntax is not pure Smalltalk80,
>but the manual is excellent, and price sure beats the pants of the ParcPlace
>version (a full ST80).

Since I haven't seen any mention of this, I would remind academic users
that ParcPlace's educational discount for the full Smalltalk-80 is $150
(could be $200 -- I don't have the reference at hand).  This makes it
as cheap, if not cheaper than Digitalk/V.  I have no idea whether it is
really usable in 2mb on a SE/Plus, though.

>chris wright

--Mark

mnkonar@gorby.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Murat N. Konar) (04/11/89)

In article <12187@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> hastings@pine.Berkeley.EDU (Mark Hastings) writes:
>Since I haven't seen any mention of this, I would remind academic users
>that ParcPlace's educational discount for the full Smalltalk-80 is $150

What hoops must one jump through to qualify as an academic user?

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar        Honeywell Systems & Research Center, Camden, MN
mnkonar@SRC.honeywell.com (internet) {umn-cs,ems,bthpyd}!srcsip!mnkonar(UUCP)

goldfarb@hcx9.UCF.EDU (04/13/89)

>>Since I haven't seen any mention of this, I would remind academic users
>>that ParcPlace's educational discount for the full Smalltalk-80 is $150
>
>What hoops must one jump through to qualify as an academic user?

ParcPlace will only accept P.O.'s from accredited institutions, unless
they've changed their policy very recently, to qualify for the 90%
academic discount.  However, a new program being marketed by ParcPlace
called the "Parc Ranger Program" allows unlimited redistribution of
Smalltalk-80 within the institution.  That costs the school $10K a
year.  "Within the institution" means faculty, support staff, and
full-time students.  ParcPlace sets a maximum charge by the institution
for redistributed copies at $100.

With respect to which Smalltalk to buy for the Mac, our people are
about evenly split between Smalltalk-80 and Smalltalk-V.  Those who
need compatibility with the "real" Smalltalk and who demand portability
to Suns, etc., prefer Smalltalk-80.  When portability to PC/PS2
platforms is an issue and for a classwork environment, Smalltalk-V is
preferred.

By the way, you can run Smalltalk-80 on a Plus or SE with at least 2 MB
of memory, but it is slow enough to be frustrating at times.  On Mac II's,
it is acceptably fast.
Ben Goldfarb				uucp: {decvax,peora}!ucf-cs!goldfarb
University of Central Florida		Internet: goldfarb@hcx9.ucf.edu
Department of Computer Science		BITNET: goldfarb@ucf1vm.BITNET