[comp.sys.mac] Public domain TeX previewer for the macs?

sho@pur-phy (Sho Kuwamoto) (04/13/89)

Is there a public domain TeX previewer for the mac?  I can make the
.dvi files on the deparment vax, but there's no good way to look at
them without printing them out.  Ideally, this previewer would use
the system fonts, forsaking readability for hard disk space.  (Maybe
it would need the math symbols font, but...)

I kind of doubt that such a thing exists, since I've not heard of one,
but I'd be grateful for any information (either yea or nay)

-Sho

gae@sphere.mast.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (04/13/89)

In article <2143@pur-phy> sho@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (Sho Kuwamoto) writes:
>Is there a public domain TeX previewer for the mac?  I can make the
>.dvi files on the deparment vax, but there's no good way to look at
>them without printing them out.  Ideally, this previewer would use
>the system fonts, forsaking readability for hard disk space.  (Maybe
>it would need the math symbols font, but...)

I have the beginnings of such a thing.  The spacing is not perfect, it
is fairly slow, has no documentation, etc.  It is called "DVI to PICT".
It's also BIG--nearly fills an 800K disk.

--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics                     TS1871@OHSTVMA.bitnet

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (04/13/89)

In article <2143@pur-phy> sho@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (Sho Kuwamoto) writes:
#>Is there a public domain TeX previewer for the mac?  I can make the
#>.dvi files on the deparment vax, but there's no good way to look at
#>them without printing them out.  Ideally, this previewer would use
#>the system fonts, forsaking readability for hard disk space.  (Maybe
#>it would need the math symbols font, but...)
#>
#>I kind of doubt that such a thing exists, since I've not heard of one,
#>but I'd be grateful for any information (either yea or nay)
#>
#>-Sho

Interesting you should ask about this as I've been looking into
that very question in the last week. According to an EECS
graduate student who works with TeX (and VorTeX, a research
TeX previewer), you need to be running a UNIX system with
X windows to preview TeX. So you'd need AUX to do it on
your Mac. If you are running AUX and want to follow up,
Email me at steve@violet.berkeley.edu and I'll try to
get you more information.

He also told me about TeX on the Mac, which he thought was
called MacTeX. I phoned a Mac store and 800 Software and
neither could direct me to it. Apparently, MacUser ran a
story on TeX on the Mac some time ago. If anyone out there
knows how to track down such programs, I'd appreciate the
information.

Steve Goldfield

mbr@lanl.gov (Mike Rose) (04/13/89)

In article <23031@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
>According to an EECS
>graduate student who works with TeX (and VorTeX, a research
>TeX previewer), you need to be running a UNIX system with
>X windows to preview TeX. So you'd need AUX to do it on
>your Mac.

This is certainly not true.  I have used a TeX
previewer on VMS without X (Dec) -windows.

Mike Rose
mbr@lanl.gov

ameet@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Ameet Bhansali) (04/14/89)

>He also told me about TeX on the Mac, which he thought was
>called MacTeX. I phoned a Mac store and 800 Software and
>neither could direct me to it. Apparently, MacUser ran a
>story on TeX on the Mac some time ago. If anyone out there
>knows how to track down such programs, I'd appreciate the
>information.
>
>Steve Goldfield

I am an extremely satisfied user of Textures, a Mac version of TeX.
It is a complete implementation of TeX and LaTeX.  If you need more
info, drop me a note.

Ameet Bhansali
(ameet@portia.stanford.edu)

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (04/14/89)

In article <11970@lanl.gov> mbr@lanl.gov (Mike Rose) writes:
#>In article <23031@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
#>>According to an EECS
#>>graduate student who works with TeX (and VorTeX, a research
#>>TeX previewer), you need to be running a UNIX system with
#>>X windows to preview TeX. So you'd need AUX to do it on
#>>your Mac.
#>
#>This is certainly not true.  I have used a TeX
#>previewer on VMS without X (Dec) -windows.
#>
#>Mike Rose
#>mbr@lanl.gov

Before I get flamed too badly--I'm already singed--I think he was
speaking of his existing previewer which runs on UNIX. Maybe this
experience will teach me to be more precise.

Steve Goldfield

sagen@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Milt Sagen) (04/14/89)

In article <23031@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
>Interesting you should ask about this as I've been looking into
>that very question in the last week. According to an EECS
>graduate student who works with TeX (and VorTeX, a research
>TeX previewer), you need to be running a UNIX system with
>X windows to preview TeX. So you'd need AUX to do it on
>your Mac. If you are running AUX and want to follow up,

You should tell the EECS graduate student this bull...manure.  Even on a UNIX
system it is not necessary to have X windows in order to preview TeX.

>He also told me about TeX on the Mac, which he thought was
>called MacTeX. I phoned a Mac store and 800 Software and
>neither could direct me to it. Apparently, MacUser ran a
>story on TeX on the Mac some time ago. If anyone out there
>knows how to track down such programs, I'd appreciate the
>information.

MacTeX I don't know about, other than the company which produces it is in
Canada, but Blue Sky Research, the developers of TeXtures can be reached at
800/622-8398 or 503/222-9571.

Milt Sagen                    Internet: sagen@nucthy.physics.orst.edu
Department of Physics
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR  97331          Tele: (503) 754-4631