[comp.sys.mac] Memory for LaserWriter II/ntx...?

spector@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) (04/13/89)

I just got my LaserWriter IIntx, and I noticed that the SIMM slots are
not exactly "standard"...  was this by design?  I have an extra 8MB
"sitting around" and I was hoping to put them into my new toy and was
really bummed to find that Apple is using a different SIMM style...

Has anyone else upgraded the memory of an ntx?  Where can I find these SIMMS?

_DHMS
David HM Spector				   New York University
Unix Manager/Senior Systems Programmer		   Stern School of Business
ARPAnet: SPECTOR@GBA.NYU.EDU			   Academic Computing Center
USEnet:...!{uunet,rocky,harvard}!cmcl2!spector     90 Trinity Place, Rm C-4
HamRadio: N2BCA (44.68.0.50)  MCIMail: DSpector    New York, New York 10006
AppleLink: DHMSpector   CompuServe: 71260,1410     (212) 285-6080
"Capital punishment is our society's recognition of the sanctity of human life"
			- Senator Orrin Hatch

u545731798ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) (04/14/89)

In article <439@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU> spector@vx2.UUCP (David HM Spector) writes:

>I just got my LaserWriter IIntx, and I noticed that the SIMM slots are
>not exactly "standard"...  was this by design?  I have an extra 8MB
>"sitting around" and I was hoping to put them into my new toy and was
>really bummed to find that Apple is using a different SIMM style...
>
>Has anyone else upgraded the memory of an ntx?  Where can I find these SIMMS?

Yes indeed, the SIMMS for the LaserWriter are NOT the same as the SIMMS for
regular Mac memory.  Why?  I don't have the faintest idea.  Apple does
sell, however, 1 and 4MB expansion kits for the NTX.  The NTX has 3 banks
of SIMMS, 4 SIMMS per bank.  Each bank can be populated with 256K (aka
1MB Expansion Kit)  or 1MB( aka 4MB Expansion Kit) SIMMS.
That means the possible configurations are:

        Total   Kits Used
	-----   -----------
	1MB     (1MB, 0, 0)
	2MB     (1MB, 1MB, 0)     {Standard Configuration}
	3MB     (1MB, 1MB, 1MB)
	6MB     (4MB, 1MB, 1MB)
	9MB	(4MB, 4MB, 1MB)
	12MB	(4MB, 4MB, 4MB)

Hope that helps.

-----
Greg DeMichillie
Apple Student Rep - UC Davis
lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu
AppleLink: ST0178

Disclaimer: If you've seen one disclaimer, you've seen them all.

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (04/14/89)

In article <3953@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) writes:

>Yes indeed, the SIMMS for the LaserWriter are NOT the same as the SIMMS for
>regular Mac memory.  Why?  I don't have the faintest idea.

The Laserwriter SIMMs have a separate enable line for each bit, so that an
'OR' to memory operation can be performed by writing 1 bits, without the
need to read the location first.  It's faster that way.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)