[comp.sys.mac] EtherTalk & printer port

wrs@Apple.COM (Walter Smith) (04/11/89)

It has been pointed out to me by several people that my posting regarding
EtherTalk and the serial port was ill-conceived and a terrible mistake.
I am forced to agree with these people.  I was embarassed on Apple's behalf
about this misfeature, which I had coincidentally been trying to deal with
for a couple of days, and I wanted to reassure people in my situation
without making any strong commitments.  Unfortunately, what I said might
be misinterpreted as "this problem is fixed in the next version of EtherTalk",
which is certainly not something I know or am qualified to say.  I should
have written:

  The right people are aware of the problem and may be able to fix it in
  some future version of EtherTalk.

A much more accurate and unambiguous statement.  My apologies to Networking
and Communications and the entire world for my previous attempt.

- Walt

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (04/14/89)

In article <1286@internal.Apple.COM> wrs@Apple.COM (Walter Smith) writes:
>It has been pointed out to me by several people that my posting regarding
>EtherTalk and the serial port was ill-conceived and a terrible mistake.
>I am forced to agree with these people. [etc] Unfortunately, what I said might
>be misinterpreted as "this problem is fixed in the next version of EtherTalk",
>which is certainly not something I know or am qualified to say.  I should
>have written:
>
>  The right people are aware of the problem and may be able to fix it in
>  some future version of EtherTalk.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!

This is outrageous!!!

"Forced to agree" is probably correct, in more ways than one. Even if it's
not, I'm appalled by this thought police garbage. Note that I'm not coming
down on Walt for this, but rather the turkey(s) responsible for his retraction.

The original article said that it was *fixed* in a forthcoming version. If it
really is, why should it be such a secret? The competition sure isn't going to
get any mileage out of this knowledge.

<<Draconian flame mode ON>>
If this fix is NOT in the next version, the person responsible for the
EtherTalk product should be SHOT. No smiley.

<<End flame>>

Actually, I don't believe in shooting people over stuff like this. But I
sometimes wish I could.

---
Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.{uucp,bitnet}