[comp.sys.mac] QUICKEYS, Restart Option

al1g+@andrew.cmu.edu (Anthony Edward Lalli) (04/12/89)

Here's a simple answer to your problem.  Using Resedit w/menu, simply add the
commands Control-R to Restart and Control-S to Shut Down.  This is
accomplished by opening the Finder under Resedit, then opening MENU, then
opening #5.  You then set the commands as R and S, which will automatically be
added to the menu in the Finder.  Using Quickeys or MacroMaker, setting two
buttons such as F14 & F15 on the keyboard as Restart and Shut Down should be
trivial.

Tony Lalli
Carnegie Mellon University
Disclaimer:  I hate all disclaimers and useless info added to people's
messages (such as this).

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (04/12/89)

In article <gYEZzWy00WB-MMFWRI@andrew.cmu.edu> al1g+@andrew.cmu.edu (Anthony Edward Lalli) writes:
>Here's a simple answer to your problem.  Using Resedit w/menu, simply add the
>commands Control-R to Restart and Control-S to Shut Down.  This is
>accomplished by opening the Finder under Resedit, then opening MENU, then
>opening #5.  You then set the commands as R and S, which will automatically be
>added to the menu in the Finder.  Using Quickeys or MacroMaker, setting two
>buttons such as F14 & F15 on the keyboard as Restart and Shut Down should be
>trivial.
>
>Tony Lalli
>Carnegie Mellon University
>Disclaimer:  I hate all disclaimers and useless info added to people's
>messages (such as this).

This is all a bit excessive (if you're in Quickeys) since Quickeys provides
a built in Restart/Shutdown function; its in the special menu.

Josh

-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-5423   (school office)

cs004004@brunix (Jon Feinberg) (04/13/89)

In article <gYEZzWy00WB-MMFWRI@andrew.cmu.edu> al1g+@andrew.cmu.edu (Anthony Edward Lalli) writes:
>  Using Quickeys or MacroMaker, setting two
>buttons such as F14 & F15 on the keyboard as Restart and Shut Down should be
>trivial.
>
>Tony Lalli
>Carnegie Mellon University
No good for MacroMaker, as once the Mac restarts or shuts down,
it becomes impossible to save the macro... I don't know about
Quickeys.

Jonathan Feinberg
cs004004@pebbles.cs.brown.edu

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (04/13/89)

In article <3925@brunix.UUCP>, cs004004@brunix (Jon Feinberg) writes:
> In article <gYEZzWy00WB-MMFWRI@andrew.cmu.edu> al1g+@andrew.cmu.edu (Anthony Edward Lalli) writes:
> >  Using Quickeys or MacroMaker, setting two
> >buttons such as F14 & F15 on the keyboard as Restart and Shut Down should be
> >trivial.
> >
> No good for MacroMaker, as once the Mac restarts or shuts down,
> it becomes impossible to save the macro... I don't know about
> Quickeys.
>
> Jonathan Feinberg

Not true! MacroMaker intercepts the shutdown request and will bring up its
own window, asking you to save the macro that is currently in the recorder.
After you do this, the actual shutdown is carried out.  On my machine that I
am using right now, I defined Command-Q to be the shutdown (much easier than
getting out ResEdit).

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

gersh@aplvax.jhuapl.edu (John R. Gersh) (04/14/89)

In article <6751@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>In article <3925@brunix.UUCP>, cs004004@brunix (Jon Feinberg) writes:
>>
>>  [Can't record a shutdown with Macromaker because the mac shuts
>>  down.]
>
>Not true! MacroMaker intercepts the shutdown request and will bring up its
>own window, asking you to save the macro that is currently in the recorder.
>after you do this, the actual shutdown is carried out.  On my machine that
>I am using right now, I defined Command-Q to be the shutdown (much easier
>than getting out ResEdit).

Absolutely. Macromaker works just fine in recording a shutdowm macro.
I've found that an invaluable timesaver in taking our Dynamac portable
through airport security inspections. If you ask for manual (instead
of X-ray) inspection, the security folks always want you to show that
the machine works. If you have a shutdown macro assigned to a
keystroke, then you can go through that procedure without unpacking,
connecting, and removing the mouse. (To say nothing of finding a place
to use it!)

I'm a bit paranoid, though, and use two modifier keys, not just
command, on the keystroke assignment.

						- John Gersh

gersh@aplvax.jhuapl.edu 	{backbone!}mimsy!aplcen!aplvax!gersh
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
Johns Hopkins Rd., Laurel, MD 20707		       (301) 953-5503