[comp.sys.mac] AUX on the SE/30

sunj@unc.cs.unc.edu (John Sun) (04/04/89)

I know that this topic has been discussed before but could some one
tell me if there is any reason why AUX could not run on the SE/30?
If there is none, then why is it not supported by Apple?

				John Sun
				North Carolina Memorial Hospital
				sunj@dopey.cs.unc.edu

sho@pur-phy (Sho Kuwamoto) (04/04/89)

In article <7592@thorin.cs.unc.edu> sunj@unc.cs.unc.edu (John Sun) writes:
>I know that this topic has been discussed before but could some one
>tell me if there is any reason why AUX could not run on the SE/30?
>If there is none, then why is it not supported by Apple?

I think someone said something about A/UX making assumptions about the
minimum screen size.   If that's the only reason, I don't think there's
any reason why they wouldn't change it.  Now, if there's any other reason,
it'd be interesing to see what.

-Sho

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (04/04/89)

In article <2099@pur-phy> sho@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (Sho Kuwamoto) writes:
>In article <7592@thorin.cs.unc.edu> sunj@unc.cs.unc.edu (John Sun) writes:
>>I know that this topic has been discussed before but could some one
>>tell me if there is any reason why AUX could not run on the SE/30?
>>If there is none, then why is it not supported by Apple?
>
>I think someone said something about A/UX making assumptions about the
>minimum screen size.   If that's the only reason, I don't think there's
>any reason why they wouldn't change it.  Now, if there's any other reason,
>it'd be interesing to see what.

I think the problem was the availability of an ethernet card, but, I
may be wrong.  I think they said they'll wait untill one is available
and make sure it's compatible with A/UX before officially supporting
A/UX on the SE/30.

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
hollander@ti.com

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (04/07/89)

In article <7592@thorin.cs.unc.edu> sunj@unc.cs.unc.edu (John Sun) writes:
>I know that this topic has been discussed before but could some one
>tell me if there is any reason why AUX could not run on the SE/30?
>If there is none, then why is it not supported by Apple?

How do you print from a II running A/UX?  The explanation I heard was
that there is not yet a way to print from an SEx running A/UX.

In any event, none of the suggested reasons for A/UX not running on
the SEx seem to be killers.  Just a matter of Apple working the bugs
out--and wanting to do so.

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
...hscfvax!lloyd!kent

clyde@ut-emx.UUCP (Clyde W. Hoover) (04/14/89)

A/UX 1.1 does run on an SE/30 - I have seen it and used it at the UNIX Users Group meeting a couple of months ago in San Diego.  Clinched my desire to get one - a UNIX system that can be carried in one hand!  (The screen is too small to run X windows, though).

Shouter-To-Dead-Parrots @ Univ. of Texas Computation Center; Austin, Texas
	clyde@emx.utexas.edu; ...!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!clyde

Tip #268: Don't feel insecure or inferior! Remember, you're ORGANIC!!
	  You could win an argument with almost any rock!