[comp.sys.mac] LapTop

rpozos@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Robert Pozos) (07/09/88)

Recently, I read an article in Macintosh Today, about a laptop Mac Se
made by a company called Colby Systems Corp.  It was in the 20 June '88
issue.  I am interested in knowing if anyone out there has used one,and
what was your analysis of it.  Responses would be appreciated.

Chris von Rabenau
School of Medicine
University of Minnesota-Duluth

fordjm@byuvax.bitnet (07/11/88)

>Recently, I read an article in Macintosh Today, about a laptop Mac Se
>made by a company called Colby Systems Corp.  It was in the 20 June '88
>issue.  I am interested in knowing if anyone out there has used one,and
>what was your analysis of it.  Responses would be appreciated.

Please summarize responses to the net.

Thanks,
John M. Ford   fordjm@byuvax.bitnet

jdsb@occrsh.ATT.COM (John_Babcock) (04/14/89)

    We are having a trade show here in Oklahoma City.  When I talked to
one of the Apple Reps, he said that the Laptop will not be comming out
this year.  It's not 68000 vs 68030, but rather the display.

WARNING: Please only take this as a vicious rumor. (ie disclaimer)
* John Babcock           att!occrsh!jdsb
* AT&T Network Systems   jdsb@occrsh.att.com
* Oklahoma City, OK      Disclaimer:  I speak on my own, not as AT&T.

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (04/15/89)

In article <672@occrsh.ATT.COM>, jdsb@occrsh.ATT.COM (John_Babcock) writes:
>     We are having a trade show here in Oklahoma City.  When I talked to
> one of the Apple Reps, he said that the Laptop will not be comming out
> this year.  It's not 68000 vs 68030, but rather the display.
>
> WARNING: Please only take this as a vicious rumor. (ie disclaimer)
> * John Babcock           att!occrsh!jdsb

It has been stated before that the display was the main reason behind the
absence of a portable Mac from Apple.  How much would you complain if
your mouse pointer disappeared every time you move it?  So Apple will not
come out with a portable until they have a screen that can update fast
enough.

In the meantime, I wouldn't be suprised if Apple was hard at work developing
a 030 version of the portable, while the display group was busy trying to
come up with major innovations...  It would be simple (to an engineer, not me)
to attach whatever screen they develop to this new 030-portable box, in all
likelyhood.

So, if Apple cannot develop the screen technology soon, you may have to
wait until next year -- when you may see an 030 portable (or possibly a
second-generation, smaller, lighter 68000 machine).

Most of the people that I have talked to are crossing their fingers for
a late 1989 introduction, but they aren't holding their breath because they
don't want to suffocate :-)

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu