[comp.sys.mac] IW-II spool

ahn@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Sung Ahn) (04/11/89)

Can anyone help me or suggest me a good printer spooler for the Image Writer II?
I am running System 6.0.2 under MultiFinder. Computer is Mac SE with 2 Meg ram.

A DA that would run in the background would be what I'm looking for.

Thank you.

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, wyl E. coyote ) (04/11/89)

In article <2543@puff.cs.wisc.edu> ahn@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Sung Ahn) writes:
>Can anyone suggest a good printer spooler for the Image Writer II?

SuperSpool from SuperMac Technologies is a background print spooler for
directly attached ImageWriter I and ImageWriter II printers.

It should be available from most mail order places.

I have no connection with SuperMac except as a customer of their products.
This is not an official Apple endorsement.
| Disclaimer: Apple has no connection with my postings.                       |
Byron Han, Communications Architect   At Apple, we change the world everyday.
Apple Computer, Inc.                  -----------------------------------------
20525 Mariani Ave, MS27Y              Internet: han@apple.COM
Cupertino, CA 95014                   UUCP:{sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!han
------------------------------------  GENIE:BYRONHAN   CompuServe:72167,1664
ATTnet: 408-974-6450                  Applelink:HAN1   HAN1@applelink.apple.COM

arie@zippy.eecs.umich.edu (Arie Covrigaru) (04/11/89)

In article <28778@apple.Apple.COM> han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, wyl E. coyote ) writes:
>In article <2543@puff.cs.wisc.edu> ahn@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Sung Ahn) writes:
>>Can anyone suggest a good printer spooler for the Image Writer II?
>
>SuperSpool from SuperMac Technologies is a background print spooler for
>directly attached ImageWriter I and ImageWriter II printers.
>
>It should be available from most mail order places.

Be carefull with this spooler.  I have seen compatibility problems
between SuperLaserSpool, their all around LW/IW spooler, and FileMaker II.
One of them just hangs the system when FileMaker II is used on a network.

Arie Covrigaru
Cognitive Science and Machine Intelligence Laboratory, University of Michigan

nagel@beaver.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) (04/12/89)

In article <28778@apple.Apple.COM>, han@Apple (Byron Han, wyl E. coyote ) writes:
|In article <2543@puff.cs.wisc.edu> ahn@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Sung Ahn) writes:
|>Can anyone suggest a good printer spooler for the Image Writer II?
|
|SuperSpool from SuperMac Technologies is a background print spooler for
|directly attached ImageWriter I and ImageWriter II printers.

Note that SuperSpool, while good (and probably the *only* one) has
some interface problems.  For example, if you want to use the
clover-key method of not entering MultiFinder, SS will crash when you
attempt to print.  Someone said here recently that SuperMac has no
plans to change this aspect of the program.  Oh goody.  The docs say
that you *must use Set Startup*.  They probably determine whether you
are in MF by looking at the boot blocks or something disgusting like
that.  This doesn't make it unusable, but does cause some nonzero
amopunt of annoyance.  In addition, the Print Queue DA could use an
interface overhaul.  For example, you must currently delete each item
from the queue individually complete with an 'Are you sure?'  idiot
dialog for each one.  Oh for a delete all button...

Anyway, SuperSpool is good and I get use out of it.  But I wish I had
known some of these things before I bought it.

Mark Nagel @ UC Irvine, Department of Information and Computer Science
ARPA: nagel@ics.uci.edu     | Charisma doesn't have jelly in the     |
UUCP: ucbvax!ucivax!nagel   | middle.  -- Jim Ignatowski             |

seo@cs.utexas.edu (Jungyun Seo) (04/12/89)

In article <2543@puff.cs.wisc.edu> ahn@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Sung Ahn) writes:

>Can anyone help me or suggest me a good printer spooler for the Image Writer II?
>I am running System 6.0.2 under MultiFinder. Computer is Mac SE with 2 Meg ram.
>
>A DA that would run in the background would be what I'm looking for.
>
>Thank you.

I need it. too.
Thank you

1      Jungyun Seo         UUCP:  uunet!cs.utexas.edu!seo                     1
1      (512) 471-9573      ARPA:  seo@cs.utexas.edu                           1

kcr%rushforth@Sun.COM (Kevin Rushforth) (04/12/89)

In article <2543@puff.cs.wisc.edu> ahn@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Sung Ahn) writes:
>Can anyone help me or suggest me a good printer spooler for the Image
>Writer II?
>I am running System 6.0.2 under MultiFinder. Computer is Mac SE with 2 Meg
>ram.

SuperSpool put out by SuperMac is what I use.  It is an INIT that runs
in the background and comes with a DA for managing the print queue.  It
does everything I need it to and it is MultiFinder compatible.  If you
have a DataFrame hard disk, then it is free.  Otherwise it costs around
$60 (I think).

I would be interested to hear what other people use.

--
Kevin C. Rushforth                   | "If winning is not important,
Sun Microsystems                     |  then commander, why keep score?"
                                     |              - Lt. Worf
ARPA: kcr@sun.com                    |
UUCP: <most-backbone-sites>!sun!kcr  |

wade@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Gary L. Wade) (04/12/89)

I would like to hear about a good Imagewriter II spool DA/INIT as well!

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (04/14/89)

Arie,

Just for your information, Claris' official stance is that FileMaker II is not
compatible with ANY spooler.  This information is from Andreas, Claris'
representative on CompuServe.

It's also my understanding...from another end user...that Claris is supposedly
working on an update for this problem.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!fabian

arie@zippy.eecs.umich.edu (Arie Covrigaru) (04/15/89)

In article <17122@cup.portal.com> Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) writes:
>Arie,
>
>Just for your information, Claris' official stance is that FileMaker II is not
>compatible with ANY spooler.  This information is from Andreas, Claris'
>representative on CompuServe.

I know it now, and from the same source.  Too bad Claris doesn't notify
their users about this problem before they invest time and money in
installing and debugging FileMaker II - spooler problems.  At least I don't
rememember seeing any mention of this in the documentation.