[comp.sys.mac] RR 10.3 VT100 problem

alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) (04/16/89)

connecting RR (VT100 mode) to a UNIX box (Sun 3) via modem yields
less than satisfactory results.  when using EMACS to edit files,
very often (but not always) TABs are not redrawn and use of BACKSPACE
produces a garbled line, leaving one with no idea where on the line
the cursor really is. redrawing the screen fixes the garbling, but
often changes the TABs, usually not correctly.

i noticed some of this using RR's VT52 mode as well, but i was never
sure if it was phone noise or not. this time i'm positive it's RR,
since MiniTerm (v2.9.6)'s VT100 mode works flawlessly.

1) has anyone else experienced this problem?
2) is it indeed RR?
3) is there some option in RR which will correct this?

PLEASE SEND REPLIES VIA E-MAIL.

thanks.

-----------------------------
Alan Epstein
Meta Software Corp                   UUCP:  ...bbn!metasoft!alan
150 Cambridgepark Dr        Internet/ARPA:  alan%metasoft@bbn.com
Cambridge, MA 02140  USA
-----------------------------

WHITELEY-J@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (J. Whiteley) (04/17/89)

I've had the same problem and found that setting a tab stop at every
space in RR provided a crude but effective solution to allow editing
with EMACS without garbling the text.  I suspect there are a lot of us
who would like to know how to solve this problem and encourage someone
in the know to post the solution to the net.  Thanks.

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (04/17/89)

In article <12486738649007@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu> WHITELEY-J@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (J. Whiteley) writes:
>I've had the same problem and found that setting a tab stop at every
>space in RR provided a crude but effective solution to allow editing
>with EMACS without garbling the text.

My Red Ryder 10.3 has tabs set every eight spaces, and it works just fine
with EMACS, including clones like JOVE.  Having tabs set at every space
would just mean you couldn't use tabs effectively.

--
Mark H. Anbinder                                ** MHA@TCGould.tn.cornell.edu
NG33 MVR Hall, Media Services Dept.             ** THCY@CRNLVAX5.BITNET