[comp.sys.mac] Hypercard and AUFS?

spencer@eecs.umich.edu (Spencer W. Thomas) (04/14/89)

I am having trouble opening a HyperCard stack I placed on an AUFS
volume.  I copied the stack there from my Mac, but Hypercard won't
open it.  When I copy the stack back to my hard disk, it opens fine.
I can open stacks on (regular) AppleShare volumes.  What is going on
here?  The only clue I have is that when I tried a different stack
(copying it to my AUFS directory, then trying to run Hypercard on it),
I got an error -50 (indicating, I think, that a volume parameter
wasn't supplied, or that it was supplied wrongly).

Does anybody have a clue?  I can't keep this stack (the Tech Notes
stack) on my hard disk, I don't have room for it there.

--
=Spencer (spencer@eecs.umich.edu)

ollef@osiris.sics.se (Olle Furberg) (04/14/89)

In article <SPENCER.89Apr13140204@spline.eecs.umich.edu> spencer@eecs.umich.edu (Spencer W. Thomas) writes:
>I am having trouble opening a HyperCard stack I placed on an AUFS
>volume.  I copied the stack there from my Mac, but Hypercard won't

 I've also had this problem, but I'm sure it worked before those upgrades.
Maybe you should try an older version of HC, something like 1.1 ?
 I can't check it out because I'm not at work, and I've just crashed our
Liaison bridge through my modem... (Sigh!)

        /Olle

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (04/14/89)

You can't use versions of HC earlier than 1.2.2 (the current one, to the
best of my knowledge) to work on stacks on an AUFS volume.  Earlier versions
did something real flakey with volume and file names, they alternated between
upper and lower case characters when making the requests -- this messed
up badly with AUFS (among others).  I forget whether the Home stack had to
be hOmE or HoMe, but you get the idea.

--
Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.

spencer@eecs.umich.edu (Spencer W. Thomas) (04/14/89)

A couple of people pointed me to the cause of my problem (Hypercard
not opening a stack via AUFS).  A trap on the _Open call verified it:
Hypercard (version 1.2.1, anyway) does very weird things to the
filename capitalization when opening a stack.  It appears to alternate
upper and lower case letters (starting with lower case). So the stack
named "Technical Notes Stack 3.0" is opened as "tEcHnIcAl nOtEs sTaCk 3.0"
After renaming my stack to correspond, it worked fine.

One of my correspondants suggested that this might be fixed in a more
recent release, so I suppose when that comes out I will have to rename
my stack again.

--
=Spencer (spencer@eecs.umich.edu)

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (04/15/89)

In article <SPENCER.89Apr13140204@spline.eecs.umich.edu> spencer@eecs.umich.edu (Spencer W. Thomas) writes:
>I am having trouble opening a HyperCard stack I placed on an AUFS
>volume.  I copied the stack there from my Mac, but Hypercard won't

This was discussed on the net a while ago .... AUFS stores file names as
Unix file names in the Unix directory structure ... the MacOS ignores
case in file names, unix doesn't (ie on the mac 'Fred', 'fred', 'FRED' and
'frED' are all the same) so if you make a file over AUFS called 'abcdefg'
and access it as 'ABCDEFG' you wont access it (you seldom type in a file
name on the Mac, usually it comes from the finder or SFGetFile so this
is seldom a problem). But hypercard does something like converting 'abcdefg'
to 'AbCdEfG' when it opens a file, I have no idea why .... but that's why it
doesn't work ....

	Paul

--
Paul Campbell
Taniwha Systems Design			UUCP:		..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (04/17/89)

In article <SPENCER.89Apr13140204@spline.eecs.umich.edu>
spencer@eecs.umich.edu (Spencer W. Thomas) writes:
>I am having trouble opening a HyperCard stack I placed on an AUFS
>volume.  I copied the stack there from my Mac, but Hypercard won't
>open it.  When I copy the stack back to my hard disk, it opens fine.
>I can open stacks on (regular) AppleShare volumes.  What is going on
>here?  The only clue I have is that when I tried a different stack
>(copying it to my AUFS directory, then trying to run Hypercard on it),
>I got an error -50 (indicating, I think, that a volume parameter
>wasn't supplied, or that it was supplied wrongly).

This is due to a BiZaRrE bit of code in HyperCard. It's not even a bug,
since it was apparently put there on purpose. For some reason I can't
remember, HyperCard opens stacks by a NaMe lIkE ThIs. In other words, it
capitalizes every other letter in the file name. Since Unix file systems
are case sensitive, of course AUFS isn't finding the file. I don't remember
for sure, but I think it capitalizes the first letter and every second
letter thereafter, but it might be the other way around, so your stack
might be looked for as "My sTaCk", but it might also be "mY StAcK". Don't
forget that spaces count...

Thus, the quick solution is to name your file so that this weird conversion
has no effect.

I thought that HyperCard 1.2.2 fixed this anamoly. If you're using 1.2.1
or earlier, get 1.2.2, it will probably fix all of your problems.

---
Alexis Rosen
alexis@ccnysci.{uucp,bitnet}
alexis@rascal.ics.utexas.edu  (last resort)