[comp.sys.mac] Educational Software Available?

gss@hjuxa.UUCP (STANSFIELD) (04/14/89)

My sister has to decide on a pc for work that has alot of educational
software available on it. Any recommendations and comments on what's
available for the Mac?

Thanks,
Greg

kcr%rushforth@Sun.COM (Kevin Rushforth) (04/14/89)

In article <1438@hjuxa.UUCP> gss@hjuxa.UUCP (STANSFIELD) writes:
>My sister has to decide on a pc for work that has alot of educational
>software available on it. Any recommendations and comments on what's
>available for the Mac?

The MAC doesn't have quite as much educational software as an IBM PC or
an Apple II, but it has many other advantages such as a consistent,
easy to use interface.  Even our four year old has no trouble using the
MAC Plus that we have.  We recently bought a copy of Reader Rabbit from
The Learning Company, and Kids Time from Great Wave Software.  Both are
excellent packages with several learning games in each.  They teach
pre-schoolers several key concepts necessary for reading (e.g. pattern
matching with shapes, letters, three letter words, etc).

The only complaint I have is that Reader Rabbit is copy protected which
is a real pain because we have to insert the master diskette even to
run it from the hard drive.

I would be interested in hearing about other educational packages that
are available.

--
Kevin C. Rushforth                   | "If winning is not important,
Sun Microsystems                     |  then commander, why keep score?"
                                     |              - Lt. Worf
ARPA: kcr@sun.com                    |
UUCP: <most-backbone-sites>!sun!kcr  |

engsoc@watale.waterloo.edu (Engineering Society, CPH 1327, x2323) (04/16/89)

In article <1438@hjuxa.UUCP> gss@hjuxa.UUCP (STANSFIELD) writes:

>My sister has to decide on a pc for work that has alot of educational
>software available on it. Any recommendations and comments on what's
>available for the Mac?

For educational use, the Mac is an excellent choice.   The user interface
is excellent for blah blah blah....(I shall not type that standard but
true ravings about the merits of the Mac over others :->)

In terms of software, drop by a local KINKOs copy center (there is one
near almost every major university) and ask for their Educational Courseware
catalog. The software is mainly 'shareware' and so the price is very good
(usually <$30).   Most titles are targeted at the university level, but
they have quality packages of other levels as well.

>Thanks,
>Greg

                You're welcome,

                Jay Gibson

tomj@oakhill.UUCP (Tom Johnson) (04/17/89)

In article <3125@watale.waterloo.edu> engsoc@watale.waterloo.edu (Engineering Society, CPH 1327, x2323) writes:
>In article <1438@hjuxa.UUCP> gss@hjuxa.UUCP (STANSFIELD) writes:
>>

>>My sister has to decide on a pc for work that has alot of educational
>>software available on it.
>>
>For educational use, the Mac is an excellent choice.
>
>In terms of software, drop by a local KINKOs copy center [...] and ask for
>their Educational Courseware catalog. The software is mainly 'shareware'
>and so the price is very good (usually <$30). Most titles are targeted at
>the university level, but they have quality packages of other levels as well.

Last night during the "Around the World..." mini-series, IBM had a commercial
about how WONDERFUL it is to use IBM computers for education.  Look's like
BIG BLUE is real interested in taking some market share away from Apple
in the educational market.  Personally, I think Apple should re-think its
strategy re the ed market, and introduce a low cost color MAC (is this the
K-12?) ASAP.  They have been pushing the IIgs at schools around here (below
the univ level), and if that continues very much longer, they may well lose
a lot of $$ to IBM.

tomj@oakhill.UUCP

DISCALIMER:
My opinions do not necessarily represent those of my employer.