[comp.sys.mac] large drives for the mac II

cower@csli.STANFORD.EDU (Richard Cower) (04/15/89)

i'm thinking of buying a large >150mb drive for my mac 2. what I'd like to
know is 1. are full height drives a hassle? 2. do full height drives
result in any cooling problems? 3. are the cdc wren drives as good as
rumored?  5. any advantages you know of to the cdc swift drives? 5. do
you think prices will keep drop much over the next couple of months on
these large drives?
i bought my mac with a 40mb internal, as that was all that was available.
i lived with it till now, and given that is is sitting here with it's
bearings screaming...I'm ready to get something else.

thanks for your help. please send replies to cower@csli.stanford.edu.

...rich

zeke@wilbur.unix.ETA.COM (Robert K. Scott) (04/16/89)

In article <8536@csli.STANFORD.EDU>, cower@csli.STANFORD.EDU (Richard Cower) writes:
> i'm thinking of buying a large >150mb drive for my mac 2. what I'd like to
> know is 1. are full height drives a hassle? 2. do full height drives
> result in any cooling problems? 3. are the cdc wren drives as good as
> rumored?  5. any advantages you know of to the cdc swift drives? 5. do
> you think prices will keep drop much over the next couple of months on
> these large drives?
> i bought my mac with a 40mb internal, as that was all that was available.
> i lived with it till now, and given that is is sitting here with it's
> bearings screaming...I'm ready to get something else.

Full height drives aren't a hassle if you have room for the cabinet, and
the cabinet is cooled adequately.  These caveats go for any piece of
equipment, however.

Wren drives are very good.  We use many varieties of Imprimis drives here:
ESDI Wrens for our Apollos, SCSI Wrens for our SUNs, and the bigger Sabre
and Hydra drives for our supercomputers.

The only difference between the Swift and the Wren that I know of is the size,
3.5" versus 5.25".  The Wrens and the Swifts have parking and locking heads
(auto park and lock on any kind of power down), high MTBF, and fast seek times.

I don't expect prices on large hard drives to drop much for awhile.  Prices
usually drop when a new technology (larger sizes, significantly faster seeks)
goes into production, and I don't see that happening for the next while.
Most of the price fallout from last year's overproduction is done, and the
healthy drive makers are very stable right now, so I don't see any price
relief on the way from market forces either.

Extra zesty disclaimer:  MINE! MINE! ALL MINE! <chortle snort froth drool>

Robert K. "Zeke" Scott        internet: zeke@sunfun.eta.com
voice: (612) 642-3493         uucp: {amdahl,rutgers}!bungia!eta!sunfun!zeke
snail: ETA Systems, Inc. ETC03J, 1450 Energy Park Drive, St. Paul, MN  55108

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (04/17/89)

In article <8536@csli.STANFORD.EDU> cower@csli.stanford.edu (Richard Cower) writes:
>i'm thinking of buying a large >150mb drive for my mac 2. what I'd like to
>know is 1. are full height drives a hassle?
Yes.  You can now get both 5 1/4" and 3 1/2" half heights in up to 172
megs.
>2. do full height drives result in any cooling problems?
Probably; but see above...
>3. are the cdc wren drives as good as rumored?
Yep!
>5. any advantages you know of to the cdc swift drives?
Yeah; you can stuff *two* of them in a Mac II case!!
>5. do you think prices will keep drop much over the next couple of months on
>these large drives?
Certainly over the next six months; expect the Swifts to be pricey for a
while, though (not much competition for CDC on this configuration yet).
>i bought my mac with a 40mb internal, as that was all that was available.
>i lived with it till now, and given that is is sitting here with it's
>bearings screaming...I'm ready to get something else.
Sounds like it!
>thanks for your help. please send replies to cower@csli.stanford.edu.
No problem.
>...rich

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarnet            |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709                                         |  |
(415) 549-2684                                              |  |