[comp.sys.mac] Searching files by the modified time - HELP!!!

fliu@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP (Frances Liu) (04/13/89)

Dear Netlanders;
	I'm new to the MacWorld so please don't flame me for asking an *easy*
question (Just got a SE 6 days ago).
	I like to list all the files which are modified after a given
date within a folder + all its subfolders.  Is there any public
domain software, shareware, $$$ware, or even source code which can perform
the above task?  Something like the VAX/VMS DCL command
	$directory/since=date-month-year [...]*.*
or
	$directory/since=yesterday [...]*.*
would be perfect!!
I searched through the info-mac archive at Stanford and ftp'ed a bunch of
utilities but couldn't find any thing for the above purpose.
Any hint is much welcome.  Thanks a zillion in advance.

--
Frances Liu
UUCP:	...!{ubc-vision,uw-beaver}!uvicctr!fliu

davidl@intelob.intel.com (David Levine) (04/17/89)

In article <646@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP> fliu@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP (Frances Liu) writes:
> 	   I like to list all the files which are modified after a given
> date within a folder + all its subfolders.  Is there any public
> domain software, shareware, $$$ware, or even source code which can perform
> the above task?

The desk accessory DiskTop will do what you want and more.  It is
shareware; there is a limited version you can get for free and a
full-featured version that you can get for a shareware payment or from
commercial sources.  You need the full-featured version.  You can get
it from MacConnection for $27.00 (US).  I recommend it highly.

            David D. Levine                BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNN  NNNN TM
        Senior Technical Writer            BBBB  BBBB iiii iiii NNNN NNNN
                                           BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNNNNNNNN
UUCP: ...[!uunet]!tektronix!biin!davidl    BBBB  BBBB IIII IIII NNNN NNNN
MX-Internet: <davidl@intelob.intel.com>    BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNNN  NNN
ARPA: <@iwarp.intel.com:davidl@intelob.intel.com>

a_dent@vaxa.uwa.oz (Andy Dent, ph: 09 380 2620) (04/18/89)

writes:
> 	I like to list all the files which are modified after a given
> date within a folder + all its subfolders.  Is there any public
> domain software, shareware, $$$ware, or even source code which can perform
> the above task?  Something like the VAX/VMS DCL command
> 	$directory/since=date-month-year [...]*.*

The "DiskTop" Desk Accessory comes close.  It's FIND command can be applied to
one or more disks (unfortunately, NOT a single folder) and can use any
combination of the following criteria:

   Name contains "string"

   Created  DATE to DATE

   Modified DATE to DATE

   Creator type "FILE SIGNATURE TYPE"

and I think I've probably missed something out...

It is also LOTS faster than Apple's Find File.  It includes heaps of other
goodies (complete Finder replacement, able to jump directly to programs,
able to play with Finder information etc...)

DiskTop is NO LONGER public domain - to get all these great features you need
to buy the retail version.  Look in computer mag's for "CE Software".