[comp.sys.mac] APDA and some other questions

kenk@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (Ken Konecki) (04/17/89)

Hello everybody,

I've been hearing a lot about APDA lately and so I called Apple and
had them send me some info about the association. After reading the
info, one question still remains: What are the real advantages of joining
APDA? Specifically, what do you get from your membership fee other
than the spiffy catalog?

On a related note, what are the advantages/disadvantages of using MPW C
versus Lightspeed C as a development environment? I'm about ready to
jump into Mac development and I'm looking for a good C development
environment to cushion the fall.

Thanks in advance,
    -Ken K
--
Ken Konecki
"A squeegee by any other name wouldn't sound as funny"

nghiem@ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) (04/18/89)

In article <1300@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US>, kenk@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (Ken Konecki) writes:

> one question still remains: What are the real advantages of joining
> APDA? Specifically, what do you get from your membership fee other
> than the spiffy catalog?
>
> On a related note, what are the advantages/disadvantages of using MPW C
> versus Lightspeed C as a development environment? I'm about ready to
> jump into Mac development and I'm looking for a good C development
> environment to cushion the fall.

1.) Joining APDA allows you to purchase items in the catalog that
are not generally available on the regular market.

2.) I find the MPW shell to be a great advantage if you are used to
working with Unix systems. Through scripts, you can customize your
shell menu, much as you would customize your X or Suntools windows.
You can run scripts, like you can under the Unix shells. In fact,
you can set up aliases so that you can emulate Unix commands you
use often, such as ls, md, cd, rd, print, etc. Of course, the
MPW shell is not csh. There are some operational differences, for
example, to execute a command at the MPW command line, you must use
the enter key at the lower right of the numeric key pad. I habitually
use the return key, as I would on a Unix machine. This quirk often
catches me unexpectedly.

I think the idea of MPW shell is great.

nghiem
standard disclaimer