[comp.sys.mac] Names of New Macintoshes

maymudes@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (David M. Maymudes) (04/15/89)

When Apple releases the four or five new computers we expect to see this year,
what do you think it will name them?  I'm beginning to be afraid that they
will all be formed by lowercase letters added to the names of current
products: If Apple releases 25 MHz versions of the IIx, IIcx, and the SE/30,
will they call them the IIxx, IIcxx, and SE/30x?  (Or the SEx/30, or the
SE/30/25?)  And what about the laptop?  Macintosh SEl, probably.  I recall
reading in the rumor columns about a IIex...

(Not only was the old Apple /// never a very good seller for Apple, it has
also permanently crippled the Macintosh line: Apple won't release a Mac III
for fear of reminding people of the Apple ///, so we'll be stuck with trains
of lowercase x's for the foreseeable future. :-)

Perhaps Apple will tackle the problem head on, and just release a Mac IV.

						--David Maymudes

maymudes%husc4@harvard.ARPA	maymudes@husc4.harvard.edu
maymudes@husc4.UUCP		maymudes@HARVUNXU.BITNET
..{seismo, harpo, ihnp4, linus, allegra, ut-sally}!harvard!husc4!maymudes
davidm@harvarda.BITNET

jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) (04/15/89)

In article <1630@husc6.harvard.edu> maymudes@husc4.UUCP (David M. Maymudes) writes:

>Perhaps Apple will tackle the problem head on, and just release a Mac IV.

Maybe they'll emulate DEC and release the "Macintosh 2000."

--
v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 201-1D Hampton Lee Court
 v v s   s || jnh@ece-csc.ncsu.edu (Internet)  || Cary, NC  27511

capslock@cup.portal.com (Allen M Crider) (04/16/89)

Since the Mac laptop is so heavy, I bet Apple will call it
 The Macintosh Portable (TM).

 Those words look real good when they're in that squeeeezed typeface
Apple always uses.

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (04/16/89)

In article <4020@ece-csc.UUCP> jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) writes:
>In article <1630@husc6.harvard.edu> maymudes@husc4.UUCP (David M. Maymudes) writes:
>>
>>Perhaps Apple will tackle the problem head on, and just release a Mac IV.
>
>Maybe they'll emulate DEC and release the "Macintosh 2000."

Don't laugh just yet.  Have you seen Apple's "Project 2000" video, in
which they "display" the Knowledge Navigator?  This is the computer of the
future you may have seen photographs of.  It's the size of a notebook, and
folds up just like one, but opens to reveal a flat display, speaker,
microphone, and video pickup.  No keyboard.  The user interface consists of
a window on the screen containing an animated picture of a guy in a bow
tie (I'd hire a cartoon character wearing a three-piece suit to inhabit
my computer, personally).  He talks to you.  You talk to him.  He understands
you and follows your directions.

The video pickup is also designed to work as part of a picturephone.  If
someone calls you, a window opens on the desktop containing their picture,
and they get a window with your picture.

In the video tape, Apple used slick special effects to simulate their ideas
of the computer of the future.  But I'd be surprised if they weren't
working towards many of these concepts today, in preparation for the future.
I don't know how much of this is feasible, but at least we know a portable
Apple isn't too far away!  Foldable, notebook sized, maybe not.

I'll see you here on comp.sys.mac after the Super Bowl of the year 2000,
and we can talk about the $7,500,000,000 10-second commercial Apple had
during the game for their new product.

--
Mark H. Anbinder                                ** MHA@TCGould.tn.cornell.edu
NG33 MVR Hall, Media Services Dept.             ** THCY@CRNLVAX5.BITNET

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (04/17/89)

In article <4020@ece-csc.UUCP> jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) writes:

>Maybe they'll emulate DEC and release the "Macintosh 2000."

Or MicroPro!!

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarnet            |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709                                         |  |
(415) 549-2684                                              |  |

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (04/19/89)

As I remember the video, one scene stands out: the professor, working with
another professor, runs two simulations in parallel: Amazon Basin
deforestation and Sahara Desert advance.  Based on the pictures, which
showed them advancing at a comparable time/rate, he deduces that there is
a cause-effect relationship.  Without other evidence, it seems to me
that he made an (I forget the Latin) "it happened before, therefore it
caused" error in reasoning.  Whether there really is such an effect, I
do not know, but I think the video might illustrate how more sophisticated
does not make more correct.

Wayne Folta          (folta@tove.umd.edu  128.8.128.42)