[comp.sys.mac] Apple numbering

>BTW, what is MultiFinder 6.1a2? Is this some unreleased beta? My
>version from the Sys SW 6.0.2 is "6.0.1". Will Apple ever decide
>to use a version numbering system that makes sense?

The numbering does make sense. In answer to your question, 6.1a2 is the
second alpha release of Finder 6.1. Multifinder 6.0.1 is the first
bug-release version of release 6.0 (the third number representing a
sub-release of a major release).

The numbering is as follows:

n1.n2.n3cn4

where:

n1: Major number (5, 6, 7)
n2: Minor number (1, 2, 3)
n3: subrelease (1, 2, 3)
c: testing designator (a for alpha, b for beta, d for developing (i.e. internal)
n4: testing release number 1, 2, 3)

To put this all in perspective:

System 6.0 obsoletes 5.0. System 6.0.1 obsoletes 6.0, 6.1 will obsolete
6.0.1, and eventually System 7.0 obsoletes system 6.1.

For testing, there would be: 6.1d1 through 6.1dn, followed by 6.1a1 through
6.1an. Then 6.1b1 through 6.1bn, followed eventually by the bug-free
released version 6.1.

This is all documented in a tech note somewhere, and once you take a look at
why the numbering is the way it is, it makes a lot of sense.

At least, it does to me. If you'd known the numbering, you could have
answered your own question. 6.1a2 is an alpha release. Of course, since you
didn't know the numbering, I don't mind telling you...

Chuq Von Rospach       -*-      Editor,OtherRealms      -*-      Member SFWA
chuq@apple.com  -*-  CI$: 73317,635  -*-  Delphi: CHUQ  -*-  Applelink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

USENET: N. A self-replicating phage engineered by the phone company to cause
computers to spend large amounts of their owners budget on modem charges.

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (04/19/89)

In article <29200@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
|>BTW, what is MultiFinder 6.1a2? Is this some unreleased beta? My
|>version from the Sys SW 6.0.2 is "6.0.1". Will Apple ever decide
|>to use a version numbering system that makes sense?
|
|The numbering does make sense. In answer to your question, 6.1a2 is the
|second alpha release of Finder 6.1. . . .

In particular, MultiFinder 6.1a2 is the preliminary (alpha) version
included with the BETA release of MPW 3.0 in order for SADE (the
debugger) to work.  MultiFinder 6.1b7 was included with the release
version of MPW 3.0.  I presume the final 6.1 will go with the next
minor System release.

	/JBL

UUCP:     {backbone}!bbn!levin		POTS: (617) 873-3463
INTERNET: levin@bbn.com

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (04/19/89)

In article <38824@bbn.COM>, levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) writes...

>In particular, MultiFinder 6.1a2 is the preliminary (alpha) version
>included with the BETA release of MPW 3.0 in order for SADE (the
>debugger) to work.  MultiFinder 6.1b7 was included with the release
>version of MPW 3.0.

I got MPW through the TML Pascal II bundle and I just ordered SADE from APDA.
Is MF 6.1b7 included with separate purchases of SADE?  I would just call APDA
back up tomorrow and ask, but I just spent 45 (!) minutes on hold trying to
place my order, so any info through the net would be greatly appreciated.

Robert
------
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
------
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine