[comp.sys.mac] Apple + DEC ? Maybe soon?

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (04/15/89)

Apparently, Apple and DEC have scheduled a "briefing" on May 8 (or maybe it
was May 7, I don't remember) at the Developer's Conference.

If we are lucky, this will be a time of actual introductions, not just more
"we'll be working together" statements.

So what are the rumored products?  Well, I heard that DEC has been talking to
one of the VMS AppleShare companies about marketing their product with the
blessing of DEC.  Anyone heard anything else?

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (04/20/89)

In article <17396@cup.portal.com>, Brita_CC_Meng@cup.portal.com writes:
> You mentioned Apple and DEC have scheduled a briefing
> during the Developer's Conference.  This is definitely true.
> You also said <<I heard that DEC has been talking to one of the
> VMS AppleShare companies about marketing their product with
> the blessing of DEC.  Anyone heard anything else?>>
>
> Actually DEC and Alisa Systems of Pasadena--one of the
> companies that sell AppleShare for VMS (product name is
> AlisaShare) signed an agreement in February.  The agreement
> allows DEC to license Alisa's AlisaShare and AlisaPrint .
> AlisaPrint is basically a printer symbiot that lets VAX and Mac
> users use DEC spooling services with the LaserWriter.
>
> In addition, I think that White Pine Software in New Hampshire
> has been working on making its eXodus X-Windows software
> for the Mac compatible with DECwindows.

From the documentation that I have received from DEC and White Pine, DECwindows
is compatible with X-windows, and eXodus is compatible with the DECnet
connections to DECwindows (X-windows).  eXodus is also supposed to support
TCP/IP and AppleTalk connections, if I remember right.  For anyone interested
in a review of the product, see page 109 of the May issue of Macworld :-)

> Brita Meng
> Macworld

Well, it's nice to see a member of the MacWorld editorial staff on the network.
For those of you who don't recognize the name, Brita is the East Coast Editor
of Macworld (she also apparently has some dealings with features).

I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate Macworld on May's issue.
For those of you who have not seen it yet, this is Macworld's new look.  Most
of the magazine was produced this month using desktop publishing tools
(such as PageMaker, FreeHand, etc.).  Jerry Borrell's article describes the
details of the change very well; for those that are interested in doing
serious desktop publishing work, this article will give you a good idea of
just what is actually involved.

Now, to change tracks, I have to tell a little tale.  Two days ago, I received
my May issue of Macworld.  Today, I received my April issue.  Seem kind of
strange?  Well, it looks like someone at the University opened up my
plastic-wrapped issue, read it cover-to-cover, slipped it back into the
plastic, and mailed it on to me (maybe someone in the mailing department on
campus has a Mac?).  I just finished reading that issue as well; it has a
good article on the Mac IIcx.  I was just about to give MacWorld a call -- I
figured my issue was lost in the mail -- but now that's not necessary (and
someone else made good use of the issue as well :-).

Time to be a'movin'

-Michael