[comp.sys.mac] What does "FTP" mean?

jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) (04/05/89)

Could someone please define and explain the functionality of the term "FTP,"
please?

Thanks.

						Jim Collymore

gahooten@ames.arc.nasa.gov (04/07/89)

In article <1091@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) writes:
>Could someone please define and explain the functionality of the term "FTP,"
>						Jim Collymore

FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol.  It is essentially a
program that takes an internet address (like 128.6.40.0) to
call another machine on the net.  The protocol I know little
about, but all the commands can be seen by typing ? at the FTP
prompt.

It is a back door into many systems.  You can log into many
systems by using Anonymous FTP (user name is "Anonymous") and
then give  your real name as your password.  This allows
limited access to a system which you would normally never have
access to.  Note that this access is limited by the FTP
commands themselves.  You cannot run many processes while
within FTP.

ted@hpwrce.HP.COM ( Ted Johnson) (04/08/89)

   NAME
        ftp - file transfer program

   SYNOPSIS
        ftp [ -g ] [ -i ] [ -n ] [ -v ] [ server-host]

   DESCRIPTION
        Ftp is a user interface to a subset  of  the  File  Transfer
        Protocol.   Ftp  transfers  files  over a network connection
        between the local ``client'' host and  a  remote  ``server''
        host.  Ftp runs on the client host.

chcu321@ut-emx.UUCP (Michael J. Liebman) (04/21/89)

In article <23354@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> samia@violet.berkeley.edu (Samia Benidir) writes:
>In article <1091@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) writes:
>>Could someone please define and explain the functionality of the term "FTP,"
>>please?
>
>File Transfer Program.
               ^^^^^^^

Actually, FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol, the DARPA Internet standard.
                                       ^^^^^^^^
I know it's a picky point, but it's just one of those days.  :-)

Mike

  Michael J. Liebman             INTERNET:
  Dept. of Chemical Engineering    mjl@cheme1.che.utexas.edu (128.83.162.2)
  University of Texas at Austin    chcu321@emx.cc.utexas.edu (128.83.1.33)
   (512) 471-5150.ma.bell        BITNET:
                                   liebman@UTAIVC