[comp.sys.mac] TeXtures for the Macintosh

chip@soi.UUCP (Chip Morris) (04/20/89)

In article <12204@ut-emx.UUCP> chcu321@ut-emx.UUCP (Michael J. Liebman) writes:

>   2.  Does it support the standard LaTeX macro file?  (Somebody told
>       me that I must _buy_ LaTeX from Blue Sky, is that true?  I would
>       just as soon use the PD source that I already have.)

I used our PD LaTeX distribution.

>   3.  What fonts does it use (CMR or Adobe LaserWriter)?

Your choice.  I use LaserWriter for text and CMR for math typsetting.
There appear to be a few symbols missing from the LaTeX fonts provided
with my copy, so I get some peculiar summation signs....

>Any other general impressions or recommendations would be appreciated.

I like it and use it a lot on a Mac II.
--
Chip Morris, Senior Engineer
US Mail:  Software Options, Inc., 22 Hilliard St., Cambridge MA 02138

chip@soi.UUCP (Chip Morris) (04/21/89)

In article <423@wn2.sci.kun.nl> eykhout@wn2.sci.kun.nl (Victor Eijkhout) writes:
>I hate TeXtures. Main peeve: it has a built-in editor.

I felt the same way, being an EMACS addict, but then I thought:  how
would it be better without an editor?  I use EMACS to prepare files
and I use the TeXtures editor to clean up typos while I'm typesetting.
No problem.

--

fkpj@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (04/22/89)

In article <423@wn2.sci.kun.nl> eykhout@wn2.sci.kun.nl (Victor Eijkhout) writes:
>Next one: it does not have Initex. They claim not to need it,
>'as you can call "dump" at anything' (or some such blurb),
>but this means that you can't load other hyphenation patterns
>(note: I'm Dutch).
>
>Victor.

If you call BlueSky and ask for a TeX with no preloaded format
they will probably say (if you are a registered user)
that if you send them a disk they will send you a TeX with no format
loaded in. (That is what they told me)
They also said that TeXtures is initex, not virtex, so it should build
hyphenation patterns just fine. (I have not tried this, though)
They will also send you the program to take MetaFont output and convert
it to mac-font format for use with TeXtures.

Todd Olson